[SOLVED] Looking for some advice over using two different fans

mearmortal

Prominent
Sep 27, 2021
Hello,
I'm looking to install two pairs of PVM fans and I need some advice.
The one pair is easy, two 140mm fans funning at a maximum of 1700rpm using a splitter cable with the rpm pin-3 missing from the one end of the Y cable, great.
The other pair are slightly different, one is 140mm @ 1700rpm, the other is 120mm(case limiting) @ 1800rpm.
Now I can use the splitter in the same way but which one is the best to take the rpm signal from, I'm not sure the best way round. I don't want to over stress either of them.

I have two system fan headers, so keeping it light on power usage too.

I've just gone over the use of 1 PWM PST based fan with one ordinary PWM, non-PST fan and this also works for me.
That get's around the use of Y Cables.

So my question remains, out of the two 1700RPM and 1800RPM, which one should I buy as a PST version to connect the non-PST version too.

Many Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Solution
It doesn't matter who reports the RPM signal. The motherboard doesn't really care. Unless it's the CPU fan, in which case by default most motherboards yell at you on boot that there's no fan spinning.

Though I would go with the two 140mm fans. They likely move more air and slower fans mean quieter fans. As for PST or not, it doesn't matter. Though I'd probably opt for the non-PST version unless there's a good place to tuck away the excess cable from the other fan.
It doesn't matter who reports the RPM signal. The motherboard doesn't really care. Unless it's the CPU fan, in which case by default most motherboards yell at you on boot that there's no fan spinning.

Though I would go with the two 140mm fans. They likely move more air and slower fans mean quieter fans. As for PST or not, it doesn't matter. Though I'd probably opt for the non-PST version unless there's a good place to tuck away the excess cable from the other fan.

Solution