Question Looking for some guidance for my first proper build

Jun 27, 2020
Hello there, been researching hardware a lot recently and wasn't able to find answers to some stuff. Hope I didn't break any rules and that the formatting is good.

Looking at swapping some of my parts in anticipation of upcoming releases. My current CPU/GPU are a 9700k and 1080ti. I figure I'll keep the 1080ti until 3000 series releases and decide then. For the 9700k I'm considering downgrading to a R5 3600 with a good AM4 mobo but I'm not sure how it'll affect my current games (currently playing AAA and esports titles at 144hz 1080p), and I don't think zen 3 is projected to have any awesome gaming chips afaik.

Main questions are on RAM and motherboards. My current RAM is this kit. I'm considering this nice patriot set which I believe is samsung b-die, this RGB set of G.skill which I dunno the IC for, and and this crucial RGB set which should be Micron rev.E (also open to anything else similar to any of these). I know the basics of each but what I really wanna know is how much performance do any of these sets offer over my current LPX ram? Also, I would like to stick with 32gb and would prefer to have 2 slots open for future upgrades. Is there much of a performance loss between 2x8, 4x8, and 2x16? If I go with 2x16 now with a plan to add another two later should I get a mobo that uses T-topology or daisy chain?

As for motherboards, I know they have clear ratings on the RAM clocks the boards support but would you still be able to use a really fast kit, like the Patriot b-die, downclocked to whatever the mobo supports and with really tight timings? Or does tightening up the timings adversely affect the weaker memory controllers? Additionally, how can I find out how powerful of a CPU a mobo can handle, including overclocks? Having taken a look at the tier list on the LTT forum I don't know how they made their judgements; did they test each one themselves?

Lastly, I'm looking at cooling solutions and it seems hard to tell what's best, especially for air towers vs AIOs. Not many reviews run the stress tests long enough to heat soak the coolant, and feedback from users seems like a lot of people have bad airflow in their cases. Plus I'm kinda worried about leaks and other complications with AIOs, not sure that many companies will insure your components in those situations. And it's hard to find out what fans are good; I've got a handful of old Noctuas in my case but they're kinda expensive, though their warranty and performance seems worth a bit. I'm considering some RGB parts but it seems those kinds of fans are even more expensive for a fraction of the performance...

Sorry for all the questions, would really appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks for reading!

Jun 27, 2020
Thanks for the video!

Mainly, since there's no more new processors for the 1151 socket, the 3600 is good value and seems good in games, and the 9700k still has good resale value, I'm feeling like making a AM4 build that'll age better and do a similar job for cheaper. The 9700k's lack of hyperthreading isn't currently a hindrance but may become one in the near future with new consoles having 16 threads. So whatever the Zen 3 octa core processor will be seems like a good option for futureproofing. I'd be buying the big stuff around Black Friday for more savings, otherwise I'd probably go ahead and get a 3700x. I really don't know though lol, probably overthinking a lot of things.