[SOLVED] Looking for some help regarding upgrading an older PC.

TJ.

Jan 15, 2021
So I am fairly new to this, however with the help of a friend and some research I had a planned to upgrade my current business model HP 8300 elite sff.

It currently has intel i5 3470, 8gb ram, no/integrated gpu and a proprietary 240w psu.

My original plan was to buy a used gpu that would be able to run fairly recent games with moderate settings and add 8gb ram.

After having issues finding a gpu that would then fit in my sff case the options I was first pointed to are the; gtx 1050 ti or the gtx 1060 mini as these would possibly offer what I'm looking for, while fitting in my case and be simple for someone like me to connect via PCIex16.

Due to the power limitations and small case I was wondering whether it was worth it. I really need some advice on what to do next as getting a better gpu would likely mean getting a larger case and psu. I then run into issues because if I was to to this you cannot replace the proprietary 240w HP psu because it wont connect to my motherboard. I've seen a fix for this involving buying a ATX 24-Pin to 6-Pin PCI-E PSU Power Adapter however I would have to repin some wires myself as shown in these examples, which I worry of messing up.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeuPjgIcsY8

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/hp-8300-complete-overhaul-psu-and-gpu-upgrades.274842/

I have seen people successfully run a gtx 1050ti small profile in my same model with good results. I guess I am asking what the chances are of my HP 240v being able to run this gpu or any others and will it wield good results? Or if I should just buy a better psu, work out how to replace my one with the adapter, and look for a larger case and better gpu while I'm at it.

Sorry if this question is a bit convoluted, this is my first time posting and working with these sorts of issues.

Thanks for reading any and all guidance will be much appreciates. Have a nice day.

Solution
it looks like you'd be ok with a 75w gpu like the 1050ti or even a 1650.

but you need to be sure that it does not need a 6-pin connection. some of the models use extra power. they are usually the higher end oc'ed models. so look very close at the specs and be sure it needs no extra power and you should be ok.

what you are learning is why those pre-built pc's are not good for anyone who might want to upgrade in the future. they are made for office work where they get totally replaced every few years and not for people like us who will want to keep it going for longer than that.

even swapping the case may not be possible depending on how they made everything work. non-standard parts and connections are the norm for these pre-built...

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Your PSU has two (2) 12 volt rails (Main and CPU). The 1050 TI will draw 75 watts. To get 75 watts from 12V means about 6.25 A of current. You should be ok to use a 1050 TI or 1650. The 1660 needs 120 watts, which would be too much. (Need to remember there are other things on the Main 12V supply, drives, fans, motherboard, etc)

Cheers

TJ.

Jan 15, 2021
Okay so even a 1650 is a possibility without upgrading the power supply? I appreciate the breakdown I just don't know how much power these other things would take up in conjunction with a gpu, my knowledge is very limited. I really appreciate your helpful replies.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it looks like you'd be ok with a 75w gpu like the 1050ti or even a 1650.

but you need to be sure that it does not need a 6-pin connection. some of the models use extra power. they are usually the higher end oc'ed models. so look very close at the specs and be sure it needs no extra power and you should be ok.

what you are learning is why those pre-built pc's are not good for anyone who might want to upgrade in the future. they are made for office work where they get totally replaced every few years and not for people like us who will want to keep it going for longer than that.

even swapping the case may not be possible depending on how they made everything work. non-standard parts and connections are the norm for these pre-built units. especially for small form factor models like you have.

Solution

TJ.

Jan 15, 2021
Ok thanks for the fast, informative reply. I will most likely try my luck with getting a 1050ti or 1660 as long as it doesn't need the extra power connector. I am undoubtedly very new to this and have learned a lot in the past few days but yes if this works then when I inevitably upgrade again in the future, it will be from new or at least not a prebuilt old business model PC.

Thanks again, truly appreciate the help.

TJ.

Jan 15, 2021
Ah believe that was a typo, but thanks for the correction. Ok ill be looking to see if I can find a 1050ti or normal 1650, specifically a low profile which doesn't seem to be an easy find, but ill keep looking, thanks again.