[SOLVED] Looking for some info on an enterprise ssd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
a guy i know bought this ssd off of ebay and brought it to me due to its connections not being the normal sata one so he can't use it. i found the model online and here is a link to a product listing for it.

https://www.harddrivesdirect.com/products_image_large9.php?products_id=496345_MZ-ILT3T8A

it is an enterprise drive and appears to have a data/power connection that is not normal to pc hardware. i assume this is due to it being used on a storage rack and not a normal pc use. i know nothing about them really. the main question is obviously, can he use this on a normal pc? is there an adapter for the connection or is it a no go from the start?

i am guessing the answer is no, but i do want to ask first before telling him that :)

i know we have people with experience in this hardware and am asking for their guidance so i know to tell the guy who bought it. he did say he got it real cheap (like $50 or so) and i am seeing them used for $1000 or more so my guess it is end of life and someone figured they could sell it cheap since they were being thrown out anyway. (my guess as to what happens when they are EOL anyway).

thanks for the info i know is coming.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so SAS is the connection type? that's helpful for sure to know.

thanks for the link @Ralston18. so an adapter exists but like most adapters people come here asking about, i wonder if it is a good idea or not? it seems like that SAS connection is sort of a double data one so i wonder how that works on a normal mobo using 2 sata ports.

anyone else have any experience here, i'd love to hear about it. i'll keep looking myself since i know the connection type now. might be easier to find info.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
some more searching for SAS to SATA is turning up that it takes an SAS controller to use it and then other cables and such. in other words not worth the trouble.

looks like SATA is ok on SAS but not the other way around. a couple pointed out adapters like above and concluded "it must work" but i am not seeing anyone say "i used this and it works for me no problem" so i am inclined to believe the 99% saying it won't work in any way.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that's what i said when i first searched the model. coming off ebay, no telling where it actually comes from. might have "fallen off a truck" or who knows what.

my guess is it's end of life and was replaced. someone dug it out of the trash and figured they'd make a few bucks from it. but that's just a guess as well. he said he paid about $50 and all the listings i saw were at least $900+ used so it is clearly nothing legit for sure....

Status
Not open for further replies.