Looking for some quality advice/critique

mcdonh

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
Okkkk Hi everyone my online alias is Fleet, Fleet sais Hi!
ok anyway ;)
I have 2 basic build plans and I am unsure of what to get, build plan links are below vvv
1.http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=241093&action=wish_lists
2.http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=241097&action=wish_lists

and a frame work for basic stuff here: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=250105&action=wish_lists

My budget is $2000 give or take a few dollars.

Purpose is some gaming and gaming in the future, looking awesome and some video/photo editing.

You have probably noticed that the first build is over that. This means I would need to delay getting the graphics card which is fine by me, as in the long term I would prefer to have an epic water cooled system that I can feel pride about every time I see it. Please be aware that the first build is a themed black and green system which is why I have the massive overkill mobo.

The second build is a basic setup purely performance based, if I could afford that kind of build and a monitor or 2 I would probably go with that.

Any advice, critique or entirely new build plans that follow my frames basic setup would be welcome!

Thanks
Fleet

P.S I really want a 750D its beautiful

Solution
I would choose the PC in the second link.

- Like I said, I always prefer air cooling over watercooling. If you don't like the color scheme of the NH-D14, the Phanteks PH-TC14PE is offered in a variety of colors to match every scheme and it performs the same as the Noctua cooler.

- Like I said, you don't need a Core i7 and 16 GB of RAM for only gaming. That will be useful only if you do intensive tasks like photo or video editing for example.

- Like I said, I don't know about this brand in power supplies, but I always recommend getting one from a widely trusted brand such as Seasonic or XFX.

- Like I said, the case is very a personal choice, but if you don't need a full-tower, there are plenty of good mid-tower alternatives...

Oleonius

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
There is a lot to say:

- If you want to do gaming + video/photo editing, a Core i7 is recommended. The 4770K is a great choice !

- Personnally, I am not a fan of watercooling, even more the custom one. The Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler is excellent and cools better than some AIO coolers like the H100 from Corsair. Plus, it's cheaper and you don't have the risk of the liquid leaking into your computer.

- For more intensive tasks like video and photo editing, you will need 16 GB of RAM for sure !

- 850W is a too much power for the two systems you linked. You only need around 650W. I don't really know about NZXT power supplies, but I always prefer to go with widely trusted brands like XFX or Seasonic.

- Finally, in case you will fill it in the near future, I think a full-tower case like the 750D is too big. You could go with the 650D that is a mid-tower case and has the same design as the 750D. Plus, you would save some money in the process.

mcdonh

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

I am quite aware the 750D is bigger than I require, if I didn't want it for future upgrading options I would be getting a NZXT phantom 410, I know NZXT isn't the most popular power supply provider, I trust the brand and it was farley cheap though, as for the 850 watt I was thinking of grabbing another 780 in the future but I probably won't end up doing that so I should probably downgrade :D

I am aware I need more ram, my plan was to grab another set of the same sticks when I got the money, I will have a look around for some different RAM perhaps though.

Thanks for all your advice, do you have any suggestions of replacement parts for the stuff you said could be changed?

thanks in advance for the help and for reading my big block of text :D

You sir need to be a little more explanatory. Its like walking up to some guy and being like: Get this thing not that because I say so

Oleonius

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
There is not a lot of components I would change.

- For the heatsink, the Phanteks PH-TC14PE is my personal favorite. It is big, though.

- For the power supply, I always recommend XFX or Seasonic. If you don't need 850W of power, go with a X Series power supply from Seasonic with a lower wattage. They are a bit expensive but well worth the money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

- For the case, it's really a personal choice but with a Corsair case, you can't go wrong. I also like cases from Fractal Design, especially the Define R4.

mcdonh

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

I live in australia so I can't use newegg as a parts source, I use a site called PC case gear: http://www.pccasegear.com
I will probably go with something similar to that power supply or that very one if possible.

I am not worried about big heatsinks, my personal favorite is the Noctua NH-D14 which is massive :D
My main question here is what build I should get and why though, do you have any thoughts on that?

Oleonius

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
I would choose the PC in the second link.

- Like I said, I always prefer air cooling over watercooling. If you don't like the color scheme of the NH-D14, the Phanteks PH-TC14PE is offered in a variety of colors to match every scheme and it performs the same as the Noctua cooler.

- Like I said, you don't need a Core i7 and 16 GB of RAM for only gaming. That will be useful only if you do intensive tasks like photo or video editing for example.

- Like I said, I don't know about this brand in power supplies, but I always recommend getting one from a widely trusted brand such as Seasonic or XFX.

- Like I said, the case is very a personal choice, but if you don't need a full-tower, there are plenty of good mid-tower alternatives. Otherwise, it's a good choice for a full-tower case.

Solution