[SOLVED] Looking for some storage ideas

Ferimer

Distinguished
currently I dont need anything more than 256gb. Just gonna transfer O.S to the ssd and maybe a game or two for quicker load times. I'm also looking for budget friendly. Currently I found this one but unsure if there is a better one for same price or less or within $10. Specs for my computer are in my signature. Also I know I need an M not a B https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07KZ4TFRS/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_a0VZEbAF7CTVX

Last edited:
currently I dont need anything more than 256gb. Just gonna transfer O.S to the ssd and maybe a game or two for quicker load times. I'm also looking for budget friendly. Currently I found this one but unsure if there is a better one for same price or less or within $10. Specs for my computer are in my signature. Also I know I need an M not a B https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07KZ4TFRS/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_a0VZEbAF7CTVX
Going with that SSD doesn't make a lot of sense. Same as only going with 256GB storage. For all of $2 you can get the best budget NVMe SSD with 500GB storage WD Blue SN550. The reason 256GB doesn't make sense is that there is a small premium to pay for 500GB, you get more endurance and performance with 500GB, and if you are putting any games on the SSD you are going to want the added storage very quickly.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Going with that SSD doesn't make a lot of sense. Same as only going with 256GB storage. For all of $2 you can get the best budget NVMe SSD with 500GB storage WD Blue SN550. The reason 256GB doesn't make sense is that there is a small premium to pay for 500GB, you get more endurance and performance with 500GB, and if you are putting any games on the SSD you are going to want the added storage very quickly.
Is that US $ for me I am cdn $

Is that US $ for me I am cdn $
Ahhh ok. When I clicked on the link it went to Amazon.com instead and all Amazon did was change the USD to CAD. Well the idea is still the same but in this case it is 20 CAD more Newegg Amazon. I can say from experience that going with a 500GB SSD is the way to go. When I built my desktop back in 2013, a 240GB SSD went for about $225 so going with a 500GB was out of the question. I have since added another 240GB SSD in 2015. I would have gone 500GB on that if I would have had the spare $200+ but only had a space $100. Basically if all the drive is used for is the OS & Applications then a 256GB drive is probably enough. However, as soon as you add and games onto it you will run out of space VERY quickly on a 256GB SSD.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Ahhh ok. When I clicked on the link it went to Amazon.com instead and all Amazon did was change the USD to CAD. Well the idea is still the same but in this case it is 20 CAD more Newegg Amazon. I can say from experience that going with a 500GB SSD is the way to go. When I built my desktop back in 2013, a 240GB SSD went for about $225 so going with a 500GB was out of the question. I have since added another 240GB SSD in 2015. I would have gone 500GB on that if I would have had the spare $200+ but only had a space $100. Basically if all the drive is used for is the OS & Applications then a 256GB drive is probably enough. However, as soon as you add and games onto it you will run out of space VERY quickly on a 256GB SSD.
My plan is to keep the HDD I have to store games that arent really dependent on load times. Certain SP games I will add to it maybe just MnB 2 Bannerlord and the OS. As for the rest I usually delete when I am done with the game. So the need to have a large space isnt truly needed. Just OS and one ot two games.

USAFRet

Titan
My plan is to keep the HDD I have to store games that arent really dependent on load times. Certain SP games I will add to it maybe just MnB 2 Bannerlord and the OS. As for the rest I usually delete when I am done with the game. So the need to have a large space isnt truly needed. Just OS and one ot two games.
Then that might/will work. From your original, it sounded like the 256GB was to be the only drive.

The cheapest 256GB NVMe SSD that I would buy is $64 CAD, the absolute cheapest is $58 CAD. The value for your money really is to go with a 500GB SSD. You end up getting 2x the space for only 40% more money.