[SOLVED] Looking for suggestion for a new Gaming Desktop.

I unfortunately don't have the time or energy to do a mass amount of research to build a new gaming computer. My computer was built in 2013 and I think it's starting to die a little.

My budget is around $1,000, 1,300 tops-ish CDN. Not looking for anything insane (guess thats obvious with my budget).

I built my current PC back in 2013 and I took a lot of research and time to figure out what was best for my budget, ended up costing me around 1,300 back then.

Anyways I thought i'd try this site again, it has helped me a LOT in the past. Not even sure if this is the right spot but figured it wouldnt hurt.

I know this is a very loaded and sort of vague question but, hoping someone may be able to help. Thanks.

Oh also, don't need a monitor n all that, just the desktop, don't need a HDD or SSD either.

Solution
Something like this would be a build for around $1300, including a case and PSU, along with a 1TB SSD for storage. I know you mentioned not needing storage, though you also didn't mention what you intended to use for storage. : P Keeping games installed to an SSD will improve load times significantly compared to a hard drive, generally cutting them in half, so it might be worth considering unless you have a decent-sized SSD already, or just don't care about load times.

If you really don't need new storage, then you could optionally spend extra on the graphics card. A 2060 SUPER, for example, can be around 15% faster than a 2060, and a 2070 can be an additional 5% or so faster than that. Of course, if you happen to only have a 60Hz...
Nov 25, 2019
Maybe an RTX 2060 super with a AMD Ryzen 7 2700x. Motherboard: ASUS strix b450-f gaming motherboard. I would highly recommend going with AMD CPU and NVidia GPU And for cases, it really depends on your preference of style (make sure it supports your sized motherboard)

Here you go...A Ryzen 3600 coupled to 16GB DDR4 3200 RAM with a X570 motherboard and finally a RTX 2070 Super. This is at your top end and will be one very powerful gaming PC though you can happily drop down to a RTX 2060 Super or even a RX 5700 or 5700XT...With Black Friday approaching you should be able to find some very good offers...Make sure you have at least a 650w PSU...All in Canadian Dollars...

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/f2FGL2

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($249.75 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($249.99 @ Memory Express)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($84.99 @ Memory Express)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($639.00 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1223.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-26 08:58 EST-0500

Nov 25, 2019
Yeah, that’s seems a good build for that price, make sure your monitor can handle 144hz refresh rate though as otherwise there would be no point to such a powerful build. With Black Friday monitors are incredibly cheap! Make sure to take advantage of that if you can.

Thanks for the replies people! Really appreciate the info / builds.

@vMax I was wondering if you could maybe recommend a build around the same price but with a case and power supply. Or even if anyone has a recommendation for a case and a power supply. I am hoping to keep my current PC intact but if cases are too expensive then ill just use my current case.

Also, i feel like this is a dumb question but.. Do i have to buy extra fans or are the fans that come with the other parts enough?

Something like this would be a build for around $1300, including a case and PSU, along with a 1TB SSD for storage. I know you mentioned not needing storage, though you also didn't mention what you intended to use for storage. : P Keeping games installed to an SSD will improve load times significantly compared to a hard drive, generally cutting them in half, so it might be worth considering unless you have a decent-sized SSD already, or just don't care about load times.

If you really don't need new storage, then you could optionally spend extra on the graphics card. A 2060 SUPER, for example, can be around 15% faster than a 2060, and a 2070 can be an additional 5% or so faster than that. Of course, if you happen to only have a 60Hz, 1080p monitor, then you might not see much benefit from adding more graphics performance.

I also went with a B450 motherboard, since it should perform the same as an X570 board. The "MAX" versions of MSI's boards should support the Ryzen 3600 out-of-the-box, without needing a BIOS update. You don't get PCIe 4.0, but that's probably not going to be particularly useful for quite a while anyway...

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($143.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card ($459.00 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400 ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($96.50 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1279.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-26 21:14 EST-0500

Solution

If you really don't need new storage, then you could optionally spend extra on the graphics card. A 2060 SUPER, for example, can be around 15% faster than a 2060, and a 2070 can be an additional 5% or so faster than that. Of course, if you happen to only have a 60Hz, 1080p monitor, then you might not see much benefit from adding more graphics performance.

I also went with a B450 motherboard, since it should perform the same as an X570 board. The "MAX" versions of MSI's boards should support the Ryzen 3600 out-of-the-box, without needing a BIOS update. You don't get PCIe 4.0, but that's probably not going to be particularly useful for quite a while anyway...

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($143.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card ($459.00 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400 ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($96.50 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1279.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-26 21:14 EST-0500
Thank you so much :) I will take a look! Yeah i recently bought a SSD 256gb that's why i said i don't really need a storage thing. I barely ever hit the cap on it atm and if i do it's cause i have random games i dont play anymore still installed :).

Not sure if you saw my one comment about fans, but would i need to buy extra fans, or is the case / part fans enough?

As far as cooling goes, the CPU cooler that comes with the Ryzen 3600 should be adequate, though optionally you could get something like a Hyper 212 Black for around $40 if you wanted the processor to run a bit cooler and quieter under load. It won't likely make a perceptible difference to performance though...

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product...ck-edition-420-cfm-cpu-cooler-rr-212s-20pk-r1

As for case fans, most cases include one or more fans. The one I linked to includes two 120mm fans, one in the front and one in the rear, which I would expect to likely be adequate for that build, though you could optionally add another fan or two to help increase airflow through the case. You could of course try the system with its stock fan configuration first before deciding whether to add more, should the cooling not be to your liking.

For monitors, a lot depends on how much one is willing to spend and what they want from a monitor. New and updated models are getting released all the time though, so it can sometimes be a bit difficult to keep on top of what the "best" in a category at any given moment is, particularly since you often need to read a review to get a good idea of how one model stacks up to the competition. In general, I would look for something that supports adaptive sync though, so that the monitor can match its refresh rate to your frame rate. Most high refresh rate models should support at least FreeSync now though, and most of those should now support the feature on Nvidia's cards now in addition to AMD's, even if you might need to manually enable it in the graphics settings for those that are not certified as "G-Sync Compatible". Just make sure your connecting to the screen using a DisplayPort connection on Nvidia cards.