Looking for the best 4K HDR Monitor 32+ inches for movies and gaming?

MozzaGamer

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2012
So I’m building a new pc rig for 4K stuff. I’m looking for the best 4K HDR monitor to use with my new rig. Recommendations for the best monitors would be appreciated.

I was going to get the predator x27 which is packed with all features but the small 27 inch screen size and price just seems like a money steal so I’m reconsidering that. A 30-40 inch 4K monitor would be more better for 4K.

Budget: £2000-£2100 at the very most.

Purpose: for 4K REAL 10-bit HDR Gaming and Movies / General stuff

Let me know guys! Thanks. Price is not an issue.

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019
I recommend either

1) ViewSonic VP3268-4K PRO 32" 4K Monitor with 100% sRGB Rec 709 HDR10 14-bit 3D LUT Color Calibration for Photography and Graphic Design

or

2) BenQ EW3270U 32" 4K HDR Monitor, 10 Bit, Brightness Intelligence Plus, Eye Care, USB Type-C, HDMI

From Amazon.com. Though the Predator x27 has support for G-Sync, I am not sure if this is a requirement or not (If it is, please provide us with more information on the type of monitor you're looking to purchase as well as your budget).

MozzaGamer

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2012
Budget is up to the x27 price which is £2000 at the very most. I will check out those monitors. I want 4K and HDR for gaming and movies. As for the refresh rate well anything above 60 Hertz you don’t really feel but anything above 60Hz is a +

And yes I want to game in 4K with true 10-bit HDR and watch 4K/HDR movies on it as well. I know the x27 has 10-bit HDR only up to 98Hz which I find weird, then at 100+ Hertz the HDR is 8-bit.

As for g-sync. Is that really important for a monitor to have? Especially for 4K HDR Gaming and movies/content?

Thanks again for the response!

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019
Not really, no. The Predator X27 has a much greater image but since size matters to you so much then these two are what I recommend.

But I mean, you already have the Predator x35 which is a fantastic monitor, why change?

MozzaGamer

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2012
The ultrawide is only good for work space. I stream a lot so I'm forced to downscale my res to 2560x1440 in-game to stream in 16:9 ratio. But for gaming with no streaming or recording the ultrawide space is definitely a plus. But when you stream or record since all video platforms do not support 21:9 well, that's when ultrawide is a problem. I've been wanting to game and do everything in 4K originally before I even bought the ultrawide monitor.

I have an OLED 55 inch 4K TV with HDR. But it's for my tv/ps4 pro use and is not near my pc. TVs are not good for Computers. I think the x27 is the only answer then but I just don't like the small 27 inch size.

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019
The TV was a joke; I agree that they are not the best for computers. I mean, the X27 is quite expensive but 27" is not really that small in my opinion... Most people use 24-25" monitors.

The closest monitor to X27 is an Asus one, but it is again, 27" so unless you compromise with the size, it is out of question.

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019
Yup, from what I have heard at least. We should be expecting some IPS 165Hz sRGB 99-100% with 1 to 4 ms. What's more is that according to NVIDIA, from sometime within the year, they will be support all Freesync monitors that have a DP cable.

It would be a wise choice to wait until Summer or so to make a final decision.

MozzaGamer

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2012
Is that 4K real 10-bit HDR Monitors coming this year? As I’m not interested in any other resolution. I may just go for the x27 if nothing comes this year. At upto 98Hz the x27 does produce 10-bit HDR. Which I’m guessing is 98 fps on games? Anything above 60 we don’t notice anyway.

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019

We actually do notice the difference between 60Hz to 144Hz or even 240Hz. From moving your cursor around to actually looking left and right very fast in-game. It is true that it may not be very noticeable but there is a difference for sure.

I haven't heard much about real 10-bit HDR but considering that new technologies are bound to be implemented within the year, it is not unlikely for a company to publish a X27 competition.

MozzaGamer

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2012
Only in games like cs:go the 120+ fps makes a small difference. In 1440p and 4K gaming, most if not all rigs don’t run games any higher than 100-120 fps anyway. Only competitive games like rubbish cs:go or where the very high hertz is needed the fps will be higher as those type of games are not demanding to run. So I don’t really get the fus of 120+ Hertz monitors like it will make any difference playing any new game that releases. I overclock my ultrawide monitor to 100Hz and I never really felt the difference than when compared to 70-80-90 lol. New games like Metro Exodus because it’s a single player game, or tomb raider or the witcher 3 etc.... These games are meant to be ran in 1440p or 4K with just above 60 fps and it will be a very great experience. These demanding games were not made for 120+ fps as if that would make any difference in the way someone enjoys the game or any advantage lol. High Fps = only better in competitive advantage. Anything above 60 fps is always considered optimal for any game. 100Hz/fps is the ultimate spot for any game. That’s it.

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019

I really enjoy conversations like this one... You are 100% correct, all I am trying to put across is that there is a difference, even if it is subtle for most people. There is no need to have a 240Hz monitor if you're playing singleplayer games, it is just a fact.

Though, it would be nice if you wanted to stay future-proof to have a monitor that can go at least 100Hz. Not saying that it is necessary but it really helps.

About your initial question and the main purpose of this thread, I would say you wait until Summer. There are certainly going to be some new monitors and I personally am very excited about this year. (Well, I am excited for the Razer Raptor 27" but there are also some other great monitors coming up!)