Looking for the Best Network Solution

TaosPinesBob

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
I have recently built my new home and have LAN connections (Cat-5 Cables) in each room of the house all going back to a central location in my basement. I currently have internet connection (3MBS speed) going to the basement location and have connected the home office LAN connection to that line. In the home office I have a Netgear Wi-Fi router that I have direct connections to two computers and use Wi-Fi to connect other devices (printer, laptop, phones, etc.) in the home. With my current set-up none of the other LAN connections in the other rooms have access to the internet. I would like to add a device in the basement location so I can connect any of the other rooms to the internet but still preserve the Home office Wi-Fi configuration. We will be getting a Fiber Optic internet connection sometime in the next year so we will have a great improvement in our internet connection speed. Would a Switch in the Basement location solve my problem?

Solution
to keep the wireless in the office, it seem here is what you might need.

a router and a switch with enough ports for your network connections in your house in the basement.
also configure your office router as an Access Point.

So your dish would connect to you new router an then from the router to the switch.
Then connect all the cables coming form the network ports in the rooms to the switch.
Finally convert your current router to an access point.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wireless-router-wireless-access-point

TaosPinesBob

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014

I only have one network connection from the basement to the office.
I have DSL connection
Modem is Netgear N300 WNR2000 v2

TaosPinesBob

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014

Emerald, Sorry for the late reply, Was tired last night and went to bed a bit early. I checked in the basement and found only a POE Switching Mode Power Supply by UBIQUTI Networks model GP-A240-50. Perhaps I should have explained my internet service a bit more. I live in a rural area and receive my internet via a dish on my roof that is pointing to a radio tower across a mountain valley. Most likely the modem is attached to the dish and the Switching Mode power supply is part of the system and supplies power to the modem and dish. I probably can't replace the UBIQUITI switch, but maybe I can add another switch downstream to connect my other LAN lines.

to keep the wireless in the office, it seem here is what you might need.

a router and a switch with enough ports for your network connections in your house in the basement.
also configure your office router as an Access Point.

So your dish would connect to you new router an then from the router to the switch.
Then connect all the cables coming form the network ports in the rooms to the switch.
Finally convert your current router to an access point.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wireless-router-wireless-access-point

Solution

TaosPinesBob

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014

thanks very much for your help. Your solution was one that I thought I might have to do when trying to research my problem. If I don't need to connect all of my cables, I could just use the available ports on the basement router to connect those I want to make live. Of course the office line would be one of the connections.