Looking for the best video card my old boat anchor can handle for gaming

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
I have an old Dell E310 3.4 ghz P4 HT with 4 GB of ram. I am in the process of cutting out the rear piece on the pci-e x1 slot to put a pci-e x16 card in there. Now I realize that this machine, coupled with the fact the the x16 card will not be able to run at near its potential, is not going to get me great results. The problem is that I am stuck with it for some time now, and want to get it as best as possible. Will this machine be able to handle an HD 6670 2GB, or even an HD 7450 2 GB? Any other suggestions at all, (besides ditching the machine).:) I would use this card also on my next build. Thanks. Right now I am using a std pci GT 430 in this machine.

Solution
Second Nikola's suggestion. If you're stuck with that PC for a bit I wouldn't go sawing anything off the MB.

For not too much more than the 6670 you could grab an A series CPU and MB which would perform much better in every regard compared to your current system + a 6670. You can reuse the case & PS, you'll just need the MB, CPU, and RAM.

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Second Nikola's suggestion. If you're stuck with that PC for a bit I wouldn't go sawing anything off the MB.

For not too much more than the 6670 you could grab an A series CPU and MB which would perform much better in every regard compared to your current system + a 6670. You can reuse the case & PS, you'll just need the MB, CPU, and RAM.

Solution