[SOLVED] Looking for the Cheapest Combo with a Motherboard can handle 128G ECC DDR3 Ram and a bare-minimum CPU with Integrated GPU

eviLocK

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
I am looking for the cheapest motherboard that use 128G of ECC DDR3 ram and the bare minimum CPU of any spec that comes with a GPU or the motherboard already has an integrated GPU, so I don't have to buy a stand-alone GPU. Any suggestion?

Solution
You're going to need a quad channel DDR3 memory controller which also supports ECC. Once you get past netburst/core, intel limited ECC to XEON chips and chipsets IIRC.

Not listed below is the 3450 chipset (see Xeon chipsets) which is compatible with Nehalem mainstream and high-end processors but does not claim core iX-compatibility. With either a Core i5 or i3 processor, the 3400-series chipsets enable the ECC functionality of unbuffered ECC memory.[49] Otherwise these chipsets do not enable unbuffered ECC functionality.

Why DDR3? Building a modern platform on DDR4 ECC using Ryzen pro would be much cheaper.

I'm guessing you're building a FREENAS box.
You're going to need a quad channel DDR3 memory controller which also supports ECC. Once you get past netburst/core, intel limited ECC to XEON chips and chipsets IIRC.

Not listed below is the 3450 chipset (see Xeon chipsets) which is compatible with Nehalem mainstream and high-end processors but does not claim core iX-compatibility. With either a Core i5 or i3 processor, the 3400-series chipsets enable the ECC functionality of unbuffered ECC memory.[49] Otherwise these chipsets do not enable unbuffered ECC functionality.

Why DDR3? Building a modern platform on DDR4 ECC using Ryzen pro would be much cheaper.

I'm guessing you're building a FREENAS box.

Last edited:
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Great find.

For this type of Dual-CPU motherboard computers, does it require Server Edition of Windows to run it?
Can, let say, basic Windows 7 home edition run it?
Win 7 Home can only utilize 1 processor.

But in the context of 128GB RAM and dual CPU...why are you trying to cheap out on a Home OS, that is also out of any support.
What is this system for?

eviLocK

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
Win 7 Home can only utilize 1 processor.

But in the context of 128GB RAM and dual CPU...why are you trying to cheap out on a Home OS, that is also out of any support.
What is this system for?
Data handling. I maxed out my current computer rams of 32G, thus I am looking for some heavy up grade with a shoes string budget.

What is the minimum Windows Edition to be capable of running dual-cpu?