Looking for the Holy Grail of HSF.

pdelre

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
I'm really looking for combos that people are using that are working good. I'm going to be buying a XP 1800+ and probably 2 case fans. I really want a quiet fan, but I have a very limited budget, as in I shouldn't be buying new hardware at all. Right now I am leaning towards Thermaltake Volcano 7+ (which is quite pricey for me) and the Swiftech MCX370-0A (which is probably a little loud for me).

So what do you use?

killian2

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
I use the Volcano 5 which is quite quiet with 2 80mm case fans. One intake in the lower front and one output on the top of the case. I'm using it on a AXP 1900+ and its only rated for a 1700+ but my temps are 42C idle and 49C load with a Silver Thermal compound. It was only about $16.00.

SEB

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
If youre not going to oc the system why not just stick with the standard hsf comnbo?????

:cool: <font color=blue><b>BAD ASS BOYS OVERCLOCK BAD ASS TOYS</b></font color=blue> :cool:

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
well not all of us bought the boxed version of the CPU....i bought my AthlonXP by itself. thus any HSF discussion, even for non-OCer's is useful

I like Globalwin so maybe look into them .. thats what i use and will use for time to come. I'm very pleased with their quality. I have the wincak38 i think it's called and it works great and you can easily mount a bigger 80mm fan with an adaptor or a quieter 60mm fan. or a loud 60mm delta fan that comes with the heatsink or some other fan out there.

I easily placed a quieter fan on there and later i easily took that out and replaced it with the loud delta fan without even having to remove the heatsink.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
Which fan do you recommend instead of the Delta? Orix?

<font color=orange> You can lead the whores to salad, but you can't make them toss </font color=orange>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Either the Swiftech MCX462 or the Alpha PAL8045 would be the pinnacle of Athlon heatsinks. For a fan to go on top of the heatsink, Papst is generally regarded as makers of the finest quality, most acoustically advanced fans. Delta makes the most powerful fans, but Delta fans tend to be very, very noisy.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree, Papst are a very good fan, very quite, but also, very expensive (but you do get what you pay for)

If you don't want to pay $20 USD for a Papst, the low flow Panaflo's are very good (27cfm, 21 dBa).

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=87962" target="_new">My Rigs </A>

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Another one to consider is the Thermalright AX-7, which I have in my system. It's not very expensive and you can choose a nice quiet 80mm fan to go with it. It uses a clip to attach that uses all six flanges on the ZIF socket, which makes it a little easier to install than some of the other big heatsinks that mount using the four holes in the motherboard. Performance is right up there with the Alpha and Swiftech HSFs.

Oh, btw, I use mine with an Athlon XP 1900+ that's slightly overclocked and I've never had a problem with my temps.

<i>Money talks. Mine always likes to say "goodbye." :smile: </i>