[SOLVED] Looking for the old Prey (2006) PC game.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Steam discontinued their support of the game, my Gamers Gate copy won't work because their activation server is no longer functioning, and I sold my physical copy years ago because it was available on Steam and Gamers Gate. Dumb, huh?
If anyone knows of a legit place to buy a copy that actually works, please let me know. Thanks. I already checked ebay.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Man, the month before i got my xp laptop working, steam stopped supporting xp and dropped games.

Ik it said you checked ebay, but if you have a cd drive you could buy the game on CD. I see kinguin has keys, but idk if id trust them.
I passed on that one earlier because (A) it was from eastern Europe and (B) I was afraid the key would have the same issue as mine. But I might try one of those others listed. For 8 bucks, it's, worth taking the chance. Thanks.

Last edited:

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
My Gamers Gate copy reports that the activation server is no longer active. I contacted GG and they basically told me I was out of luck. Maybe the retail package still has an activation server that is active? Probably not. Probably the same 2K server as the one from GG, but I'll take a chance for that price. Besides, the money goes to a good cause.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I doubt it, but I guess its worth a try. Why would a CD copy need an activation server? DRM?
I suppose. That was big back in 2006. Before the game will play, you had to type in an activation code that came with the game.

Good to know about Steam and XP games. I just built a retro gaming PC for the fun of it, and was debating going with XP or W7. Finally decided on the latter.

Yea, It just gives you a failed to load file.xxx.
No way to bypass it I see. I spent months trying to get XP to work on my old satellite laptop. Driver support was a pain since the satellite has an Ivybridge I5 and an SSD. AHCI didn't want to work.
By the time I got it working, Steam on XP ended.