[SOLVED] Looking for the right 3000 series Nvidia card for both gaming, content creation, and low noise.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Edit: Canada. :)

Hi, I was looking at MSI for the manufacturer mainly because the current reviews show that MSI has only slightly less performance then an Asus card, but is a decent amount quieter.

Part of my problem is not knowing if I should look for a current 3080 (I know... I know. lol) or wait for the "ti" version to be released.

I do game (when I have time, which is not often) and I do content creation both photo and some video. I also do some 3D modeling, but not as much lately.

I'm building a whole new system, so I'll be getting a high quality PS, and such. I'm currently using an Eizo CS2732 1440p monitor, but it's for content creation. 60hz, yum.
I'll probably get a gaming monitor as a 2nd display sometime down the road. If I find time to game, of course. :)

Unless something has changed, I'll likely go AMD for CPU for the cores for rendering. Beefy system, so ATX sized case and MB. Not sure on the make yet. 32GB of DDR4, etc etc. You get the idea. :)

One question is regarding the GDDR6 of the 3080 vs ti. I'm not sure if the difference is important to me for content creation or not.

Thanks,

DM

Solution
if the FE version of the 3080 Ti is reported to be dropping at $999, than the ASUS\MSI\EVGA\etc versions will probably be going for ~$1100-1500.
that would seem to be making it a pointless card vs the RTX 3090 with performance vs price ratio.
we'll have to see what the actual difference is with it's design and performance to really compare.

the bigger question these days is what card is actually available for you to buy?
not, what card do you want?

search around any local computer component shops and any online retailers you can find and see what may actually be available for you at anywhere near the MSRP.
in most situations the answer is zero right now.
if the FE version of the 3080 Ti is reported to be dropping at $999, than the ASUS\MSI\EVGA\etc versions will probably be going for ~$1100-1500.
that would seem to be making it a pointless card vs the RTX 3090 with performance vs price ratio.
we'll have to see what the actual difference is with it's design and performance to really compare.

the bigger question these days is what card is actually available for you to buy?
not, what card do you want?

search around any local computer component shops and any online retailers you can find and see what may actually be available for you at anywhere near the MSRP.
in most situations the answer is zero right now.

Solution
most higher quality motherboards have very sturdy PCIe support
and higher quality GPUs also have a very sturdy backplate.

a support stand or bracket may not be necessary but these newer cards are fairly heavy.
my Z590 came with a GPU stand that i put in place because my 6700 XT is pretty large and heavy,
but it showed no sign of bending or being off-angle while installed without it.
it's more just a personal preference.