Question Looking for two decent WHITE monitors for gaming - Feedback on my choices?

Mar 7, 2019
Hi all,

As the title says, I am looking for two white monitors that would be suitable for gaming and within my budget, which has a max limit of £500, but I would prefer to keep it as low as possible. My knowledge on monitor specs etc is limited, which is why I have come here for feedback on my potential purchases below. I am not a competitive gamer, but I do sink good hours into gaming for leisure. I currently use a very old TV (ALBA 32880H) as my monitor, so I am guessing almost anything will be an improvement!

It is basically a deal-breaker that my monitors are white, as other components I have are white and I am going for the white-with-blueLEDs-look. Also 27" is the ideal size I want, and I would definitely want my monitors to be the same size!

I was looking at possibly purchasing an Acer H277HK 27" LED 4K as my primary monitor, however I can't really afford two. My second option was the cheaper HP 27FW IPS LCD, of which I could afford to purchase two.

Alternatively I was thinking about buying one each of the above, and using the Acer as my primary gaming monitor (I only play on one screen and use the other for Facebook etc, I don't plan on playing across two screens).

In terms of quality and my budget, do these monitors look like they will do a decent job?

Thankyou very much for any help that is thrown my way!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
As for your choices above. Not seeing that particular model of 4K panel for sale anywhere. Might be out of production in general, and the few reviews I found weren't all that positive. Then again, people that buy 4K tend to spend a little more.

Those HP panels look fine for general use. So a pair of them wouldn't be too bad.

This doesn't look half bad, 1440p
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/s6Crxr/lenovo-65cegac1ud-270-2560x1440-monitor-65cegac1ud

This crazy Porsche designed thing, but nearly edge to edge LCD:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071RCXCL5/?tag=pcp0f-21

Another from HP, an interesting design.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/kLYLrH/hp-27-270-1920x1080-60hz-monitor-z4n74aaabb

Hmm, an interesting option ultrawide 1080p curved, all white:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/7Wzkcf/lg-29wk600-w-290-2560x1080-60hz-monitor-29wk600-w

Mar 7, 2019
Thanks for the feedback.

I am getting mixed reviews online about whether or not it is worth getting 1080p or 1440p.

Considering I used a 780p TV at present, either will certainly be an improvement. But I am trying to balance budget and quality.

You said the two HP screens would be alright, so will they be good for mainstream non-competetive gaming at a high but not ultra high quality?

Mar 7, 2019
I am looking to upgrade my GPU this week also. I currently have an Nvidia 780, but I am looking towards a 10 series upgrade along with my monitors.

So I'm looking for two monitors which will give a high quality experience but not compromising on performance. My only concern is if I am buying for the long term and 1080p will begin to feel dated in a couple of years.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I bought a 1080p monitor in 2011 or so, prior to that I was sticking with my 4:3 1280x1024 LCD. Maybe two years ago now, I upgraded to a 1440p monitor. I've had high end GPUs for the last several generations, and I don't feel I have missed out.

Big things now are high refresh rate displays, so 1080p at 144hz is pretty nice and still requires a high end GPU. 1440p high refresh is worse, and 4K high refresh just happened, and the GPUs aren't ready.

Only things beyond that are 4K and ultrawides (not including 2560x1080, a bit of an odd format at least in the two sizes it is typically available in). Both still quite up there in price, and the GPUs to run them properly even more so.

1080p is probably going to be the PC gaming standard for a good number of years to come. Now the consoles are moving to 4K, but this generation is still split by that and they basically have RX580 in the new ones. But at the pace AMD is going, they will have to move to the new 7nm process nodes for their next models, even before they consider another console generation. Actually not sure they need to do one. If I am being honest graphics have reached a minor plateau, i suspect the next push from the consoles might be high refresh. FreeSync is starting to make it to TVs as well, and purpose built high refresh gaming TVs. 8K gaming is way off.

Nvidia has their real time ray tracing, but still in its infancy. If developers keep pushing that then resolution will be at a stand still while they try to get RT FPS up.

Only so much resolution the human eye can see too. 8K probably won't come to monitors. I already have to get within a foot or so of my 4K TV to see the pixels.