[SOLVED] Looking for upgrade recommendations from Crucial M500 240GB SSD

itm

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
I'm planning to replace my existing 5-year old i5 desktop, probably with something based on the Ryzen 2700X or 3700X and a B450 motherboard. Most of my activities are standard admin stuff (e.g. MS Office), although I do very occasionally play F1 or Pro Evo. I also run VM's alot of the time (VirtualBox). I also do a little video editing from time to time, but not much.
I think upgrading my O/S SSD would give as much of a boost to me as a top-end CPU or GPU, as app loading times are the main things that I notice from a performance point of view.
I currently run Windows 10 from a 5-year-old Crucial M500 240GB SSD. I think I need a bit more space - say 500GB, and would like something faster for faster app loading times and general performance. Budget - £100-150. I guess I should be looking at NVMe/M.2 for maximum performance? Any recommendations?

Thanks for that. Is the performance of the WD drive good for the price, or are there others that have significantly better read/write speeds?
Here are the specs for the drive. https://www.anandtech.com/show/15214/western-digital-announces-wd-blue-sn550-ssd You can get drives that are faster, however, ones that are faster start about 20 Quid more expensive. The problem is you will not notice any difference in performance between a 140 Quid ADATA XPG 8200 Pro and the WD SN550, even though the 8200 Pro has higher read and write speeds.

itm

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
Great - thanks for that. I think I'll go for the WD SN550. For some reason Amazon says "Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months" so I'll see if I can find somewhere that has some in stock....