Question Looking for upgrade suggestions?

May 10, 2023
Current Setup
Motherboard: Msi B450 Tomahawk Max
Cpu: Amd Ryzen 5 3600x 6 Core Processor
Cpu fan: Amd Wraith Stealth Am4 4-pin
Aluminum Heat Sink & 3.93" fan
Gpu: GeForce Rtx 3080 (not upgrading)
Ram: 2x 8gb G.Skill Rip Jaws DDR4
Ssd: Samsung 970 EVO 1tb
Psu: 850
Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Artic
White High Airflow Atx Cube
Hardrives: WD 500gb, WD 1tb
Intake fans: Corsair 2x came with the case
Fan on back, Corsair, came with case I believe

Goals: Run any games with no problems, faster pc, not have to upgrade for awhile. Better performance.

Current issues: Had problems like not being able to play Elden Ring when it first came out. Had a different gpu then, can't even play Hogwarts Legacy now. Hogwarts could be the issue but I feel like it's time for some upgrades.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

850 is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the make and model of the PSU in question? How old is the PSU? In it's current state(hardware wise), you could drop in a Ryzen 5000 series processor, though you'll need to perform a BIOS update prior to the CPU swap.

You should elaborate on the specs for the ram, best would be to pass on a link to the kit you're working with.

What resolution do you game on?

Do you have a budget?

Since you are keeping the 3080, look to see if a cpu upgrade may benefit you.
Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If a cpu upgrade is indicated, you have a number of choices.
Look at the 5800X.
You will likely have to update the bios before inserting the chip.
And, possibly a better cpu cooler.
I would avoid the X3D variants which are optimized for gaming at the cost or doing other things as well.

Reactions: Khajjit
May 10, 2023
Do you have a budget?

Since you are keeping the 3080, look to see if a cpu upgrade may benefit you.
Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If a cpu upgrade is indicated, you have a number of choices.
Look at the 5800X.
You will likely have to update the bios before inserting the chip.
And, possibly a better cpu cooler.
I would avoid the X3D variants which are optimized for gaming at the cost or doing other things as well.
Thanks. I'd say my budget is 1-2k

Reactions: Why_Me

IDProG

Distinguished
Current Setup
Motherboard: Msi B450 Tomahawk Max
Cpu: Amd Ryzen 5 3600x 6 Core Processor
Cpu fan: Amd Wraith Stealth Am4 4-pin
Aluminum Heat Sink & 3.93" fan
Gpu: GeForce Rtx 3080 (not upgrading)
Ram: 2x 8gb G.Skill Rip Jaws DDR4
Ssd: Samsung 970 EVO 1tb
Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Artic
White High Airflow Atx Cube
Hardrives: WD 500gb, WD 1tb
Intake fans: Corsair 2x came with the case
Fan on back, Corsair, came with case I believe

Goals: Run any games with no problems, faster pc, not have to upgrade for awhile. Better performance.

Current issues: Had problems like not being able to play Elden Ring when it first came out. Had a different gpu then, can't even play Hogwarts Legacy now. Hogwarts could be the issue but I feel like it's time for some upgrades.
Sorry to break it to you, but your GPU is probably the most important one to "upgrade" if your goal is to play games with no problems and not have to upgrade for a while.

10GB VRAM isn't going to cut it. Your problems with Hogwarts Legacy are probably caused by the inadequate amount of VRAM your GPU has.

I wrapped the word upgrade in double quotes because buying an RX 6800 (which is not more powerful than the 3080) will make your gaming experience better because of the VRAM alone. But, I think you can afford something like the 7900 XT or 7900 XTX.

My second suggestion is to upgrade the RAM, if you have a 16+ GB VRAM GPU. Buy another 2*8 stick.

If the B450 motherboard supports Zen 3, update the BIOS, and buy a 5800X3D. Buy a better cooler, as well.