Question Looking for upgrading advice.

Replicah

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Hi there,

My name is Leon, and I am looking for advice to upgrade my system.
The only heavy tasks I use my PC for is gaming on ultra. No other heavy work.

I am not an overclocker, don't really like it. Love turboboost when I need it.
I have build this system 5 years ago and the only thing I upgraded was the GPU.

Here are the specs:

i5-4670k @ stock
Asus Vii Impact (mini itx, but I am going to switch to ATX when I have the chance)
8 GB DDR3 @ 1600 mhz
Asus Strix GTX 1070
Corsair CS650M
Sharkoon ATX case
I game on a monitor with a resolution of 1440p and 165 hz

My wishes:
I would like to have advice on what I should upgrade for better performance in the latest games.
I love to crank every possible setting to ultra but I notice that games get so demanding that I can't do that to every game anymore.
Also what I really like is to play on those high refresh rates. It's really smooth, but it's basically a waste when I am capped to 70 fps due to CPU or GPU limitations.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a first world problem, but I really like to get a lot of performance in my games while complimenting my monitor's resolution and refresh rate.

What would I most benefit from?
An upgrade in Motherboard, CPU and 16 GB of DDR4 RAM? / And then I was thinking about a i5-9600k or Ryzen 7 2700x
An upgrade in GPU? /
For example selling my current GTX 1070 and upgrading to a GTX 1080 ti or RTX 2070? for example.
Or upgrade everything?

My budget is around € 600,- and I live in the Netherlands.

Upgrade kits here for an i5-9600k, 16GB corsair vengeance and a gamer MSI motherboard is on sale now for € 471
Also some graphics cards are on sale too, but I can't figure out what a better upgrade would be.

I have financial limitations to do both.

Thank you so much for reading, and I am looking forward for your reactions.

Have a great day,
Leon.

This is what I definitely wouldn't do>>>>

}An upgrade in GPU? / For example selling my current GTX 1070 and upgrading to a GTX 1080 ti or RTX 2070? for example. }

because I think your GPU is about as high as you can go with that i5.

So that being said....I would go with the CPU upgrade or a MB/CPU upgrade.

With that board you could go with an i7-4790K
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/MAXIMUS_VII_IMPACT.html

....I think that's the fastest "with that board"....but if you went with that you could up the GPU to something like a GTX 1080 or a 1080 Ti or an RTX 2060.

Other than that I would go with a MB/CPU upgrade....but if you do that.....and don't change the GPU.....you might not get a lot of improvement.

The GTX 1070 is still strong. Like said before, Ryzen 3xxx along with a compatible motherboard and 16gb ram would be a really good choice. What PSU do you have at the moment and how old is it, as if you are getting new parts, it's also a good time to update your PSU.