Question looking for usage reviews for NH-D5 on high TDP chips for overclocking

apple tech geek

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
so today i finally decided i've took enough xxxx from my mecury 360 aio cooler and decided i want to buy a air cooler instead.
since the nh-d5 is basically know to be one of the best ones for keeping a cpu cool i'm wondering what all of your experiences was like with this kit.
i got a asus p6t motherboard paired with a xeon x5675 and soon to be a rx 480 8 gb
my current liquid cooler is not capable (imo) to cool this chip. it is enough for the chip at stock speeds ish
it shoots to about 70 to 80c from 25c under load with the xeon x5675. let alone getting te chip overclocked. (perhaps the 2 year old AIO is just worn out?)

also a side note.
the noctua cooler wil be connected to the bare die of the xeon since its delidded.
after delidding i noticed about a 5c difference on my aio (the cooler is keeping the cpu in the socket since i dont have one of those fancy holders for one.
if anyone is using this cooler on a direct die contact please let me know how it went and how you approached it.
my idea is to gently turn each screw 1 turn at a time to prevent the expensive potato chip from cracking.

thank you all alot for taking your time to help me out!

<MODERATOR EDIT>

Tom's is a FAMILY FRIENDLY website.

PROFANITY is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN and is a BANNING OFFENSE !!!

WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I wouldn't consider an X5675 to be a particularly "high" TDP chip.
It's 95W stock, and even overclocked (~4.4GHz @ ~1.32V), you shouldn't be seeing too much higher than ~70'C under any remotely decent cooler. I had one at one point, and a GAMMAXX 400 did the trick just fine.

How are you connecting to the bare die? I'm assuming you've had to remove the socket itself?
Personally, I would only mount "direct die" with a copper shim and retaining the socket - especially with a beefy air cooler.

apple tech geek

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
I wouldn't consider an X5675 to be a particularly "high" TDP chip.
It's 95W stock, and even overclocked (~4.4GHz @ ~1.32V), you shouldn't be seeing too much higher than ~70'C under any remotely decent cooler. I had one at one point, and a GAMMAXX 400 did the trick just fine.

How are you connecting to the bare die? I'm assuming you've had to remove the socket itself?
maybe i can salvage a old piece of copper from a old broken laptop that is a bit thicker to smack between the die.
Personally, I would only mount "direct die" with a copper shim and retaining the socket - especially with a beefy air cooler.
hmm i do have a couple of copper shims here but they arent that thick. i got them for my laptop a while ago
how do you recommend using copper shims? a small amount of paste on both sides of the shim?
right now i'm dealing with mounting pressure issues and not having 100% contact so half my ram isnt detected.
the thing is my xeon chip likes to slurp a little bit more voltage than other x5675's but this also compesates to a chip than can run 4.8 ghz. altho at about 1.45~ volts
i've spend basically the entire night looking at aio vs the NH-D5 and honesty quite suprised that even a smaller cooler from noctua can beat a corsair 150i pro AIO.
and since even the replacement brackets of my aio have broken i wil probs just grab the black edition of the nh-d5
(it took 3 days to break the replacement mounting bracket.. honesty they are really badly designed using very weak metals)