Looking for USB HD that saves drive images

BIG_E

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
I'm looking for a USB hard drive for backing up my laptop's 60gb drive. I'd like to be able to save drive images instead of just files, so it'll be a lot easier to recover. It'll also need to be able to boot from a recovery CD.

I'll probably get something around 400-500 GB so I can have a bunch of copies so I can go back through them if I get a virus or something.

Thanks for any info :)

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
The drive is nothing more than that: a drive. Use software to do what you are referring to. I've seen Acronis True Image touted by others here.

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Yeah, but I don't think any of the bundled software does drive imaging. The Maxtor I had a few years ago only backed up files/folders, and my LaCie does the same thing.

ornsley

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I use Norton Ghost 2003. I work with many pc types and make multible images. For example, when I get windows installed and all the drivers, windows updates etc finished, I make an image. I also make images at intervals as needed (basically a backup of the working pc's files, email, pics, music everything in one image.) I have noticed that doing this over USB vs sata or ide HD seems much slower. I normally start it when I go to bed and all is finished in the morning.

ORN