[SOLVED] Looking for which Nvidia 3000 series can run this monitor setup

vegasjon777

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
Hi all:

I am looking to buy a second Samsung G9 to use with my existing one. I am currently running on a 2080 GTS that only has 1 HDMI and 3 DVI ports., and the 2000 series only allows 120 MHz refresh, but the monitor will do 240 with the 3 series. My question is can I run 2 HDMI monitors at the 240MHz refresh rate 5120x1440 on a 3080, or is there a different model I would need?

Solution
HDMI connection is probably limited to 120hz.
And, it takes a 3000 series card to do that, along with an ultra high HDMI cable

I think you will do best if you plan to use a dp connection for both monitors.
Then, the G9 has a large number of pixels to manage.
If you need fast action, a 3080 would be the minimum card, and 3090 might be better if you have the budget for that.

Of interest... how do you plan to arrange two such large monitors?
And, it takes a 3000 series card to do that, along with an ultra high HDMI cable

If you need fast action, a 3080 would be the minimum card, and 3090 might be better if you have the budget for that.

Reactions: vegasjon777
Solution
Modern high end GPUs usually have one HDMI and multiple DP, because the DP connections can run at higher refresh rates and resolutions. Most HDMI is not high enough quality for what you want. DP is essentially HDMI+ with how it works, except it does not transfer audio. If you are spending that level of money, then you are probably not using monitor speakers though.

Reactions: vegasjon777
Technically 3080 supports HDMI 2.1, but even that is not enough to push such amount of pixels without compression. As long as both monitor and GPU support DSC 1.2 compression it should be possible (and they should if they adhere to 2.1 standard).
And to answer your second question, there is nothing better then 2.1 so if 3080 can't do it there is no other GPU that could.

vegasjon777

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015

Hi!
As for arranging the monitors- I have a fairly large corner desk space, and I am planning to just have them side by side for now. I also considered mounting one above the other perhaps...