Looking for wifi/router/firewall with parental controls and reporting

sacklunch

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
Hi all,

I have a dying Linksys DIR-655 that I need to replace in my home network. My needs have changed a bit, so I thought I should seek some recommendations or advice before purchasing a replacement. Here's what I need and what I'm hoping to get:

- This is the sole firewall and wifi router for my home. We have an exploding number of wireless devices at home now, including game consoles, phones, tablets, laptops, TV components, and more. Some belong to my teenage kids, some to my wife and I, some to the whole family.
- I need fast and stable performance, since most of these devices are capable of streaming massive amounts of data. Currently we all share a Comcast internet connection.
- I would love to have some visibility and control into the current wireless sessions. Who's eating up all the bandwidth right now? Can I disconnect that device or prioritize traffic so I can watch Netflix when I want? :)
- Parental controls would be great as well, if I can configure them for specific wifi clients (IP or MAC addresses).
- Decent reporting capabilities would be great. I.e. what websites did my son access from his laptop while he was supposedly doing his homework last night? :)

Any thoughts or ideas are most welcome. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Asus tends to have pretty good features like this. They said the firmware base was the same on all the routers but now I am not so sure. They normally have router simulators on their site so you can look at them but something has changed lately. This is what appears to be a simulator for the 87u but they said the software same but it does not appear to be. In any case you can look though this one it is one of the few that shows URLS. Most you can do parental controls and QoS but only recently have they started adding the logging features. This one unlike the other simulators is not directly on the Asus site so it is unclear what that means.

http://ec2-54-202-251-7.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com:8080/index.asp
Asus tends to have pretty good features like this. They said the firmware base was the same on all the routers but now I am not so sure. They normally have router simulators on their site so you can look at them but something has changed lately. This is what appears to be a simulator for the 87u but they said the software same but it does not appear to be. In any case you can look though this one it is one of the few that shows URLS. Most you can do parental controls and QoS but only recently have they started adding the logging features. This one unlike the other simulators is not directly on the Asus site so it is unclear what that means.

http://ec2-54-202-251-7.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com:8080/index.asp

Solution

wacheski

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
I too am replacing a DIR-655 and I was using the Advanced Access control to control my children's access.

I have three daughters, each with multiple devices. I would like to
- allow/block access to the internet based on a schedule for each user or all,
- block access to the internet for a specific user (set of MACs) or specific services (YouTube) with a single command

I can do this with D-Link’s Advanced Access Control that includes filters that can be named, scheduled, use specific MACs and services (URLs).

I purchased a ASUS RT-N66U but it does not have these capabilities. I can turn the entire 2.4G network on/off and use the Parental Controls to set a schedule for s specific device but if I want to block a user I have to adjust the schedule for multiple devices, then recreated the schedules later. Painful.

I would be very happy to find a stable, powerful N router with good access control. Anyone?