[SOLVED] Looking for wifi router that suports WOL and forwarding 80 to 80

funkytwig

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
So we want to be able to use WOL and we have a web server behind a router that we want to be able to have port 80 on the WAN forwarded to port 80 on a IP on the LAN. Would ideally like a wireless router, N is fine. It's for a small office, 4 people max.

Solution
I am unsure exactly which asus routers have the WoL client program. This is not the silly forward port 9 hack this is a program that runs on the router and you remotely ask it to send a real WoL packet on your behalf. I know merlin firmware added it and asus incorporated it into the base code for some routers but I do not know which. I load merlin into my asus routers as soon as it comes out of the box so I do not know what factory firmware has.

The problem I suspect is getting both the port forwarding and this WoL feature to work. Because you remotely access the router via the web from the internet to tell it to use the WoL packets it uses port 80 or 443. I am pretty sure you can change the router management port but I don't...
I am unsure exactly which asus routers have the WoL client program. This is not the silly forward port 9 hack this is a program that runs on the router and you remotely ask it to send a real WoL packet on your behalf. I know merlin firmware added it and asus incorporated it into the base code for some routers but I do not know which. I load merlin into my asus routers as soon as it comes out of the box so I do not know what factory firmware has.

The problem I suspect is getting both the port forwarding and this WoL feature to work. Because you remotely access the router via the web from the internet to tell it to use the WoL packets it uses port 80 or 443. I am pretty sure you can change the router management port but I don't what restrictions there are.

Solution

funkytwig

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
This is a business, why wouldn't you buy a business quality router. A Ubiquiti EdgeRouter or similar?

Did not say I would not. I was just asking which routers support these two things. I am a big fan of Ubiquaty APs. Will have a look at there routers. I take it you are saying they support these two things?

Am on a bit of a budget, only 2/3 of us in the office and traffic to the server fairly small so looking for the cheapest decent brand router that will do the job.