• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Looking for World of Warcraft video card recommendations

jtl63

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2001
Looking for a little help and yes I’ve read many of the messages and reviews. My question is what video card do you all recommend based on the following criteria:

1. Cost <= $350
2. Reliability/Durability ( I won’t be over-clocking)
3. Fast frame rates in World of Warcraft at the highest resolution possible.

If you have a suggestion and play WOW would you post your frame rates best and worst? I’m assuming your worst would be in a 40 man raid during combat. I’m also hoping the card will have satisfactory performance with the Oblivion (Morrowind Upgrade) game but that has yet to be released.

My hardware is:
Intel D915PBL PCI-E
3.4g P4
2g ram
Asus EN5900 128meg video board

The above computer was a gift and I’m happy with everything except for the video card. I originally had an ATI 9500pro 128meg AGP card and that seemed to perform better than my current card at high resolutions. Also, I’m a little leery of NVIDIA because I’m seeing some artifacts with my current card. I tried changing the drivers without success. I probably have a bad card so I don’t want to eliminate NVIDIA.

Currently I’m considering the following two cards but at this point in the search I willing to switch choices:

eVGA 256-P2-N516 Geforce 7800GT 256MB

POWERCOLOR X800GTO16256MBDDR3 Radeon X800GTO 256MB

Thanks in advance for your help.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I have an eVGA 7800GT @ 470/1100....mhmm lub lub lub.

If your looking for the best card stock specifications...the GT is your choice.
If you like doing a wee bit of tweaking, the X1800XL (stock cooler) can almost make XT speeds, provided you up the fan speed to %100. Like I said that 90nm process really shows itself. The problem, the X is a few bucks more...
but I found this, with the rebate...its in your price range.
Either way, both cards are great, and you'll have a good time playing WoW.

X
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161148

GT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130249

EDIT: Wait, were going for AGP or PCI-E? Becuase if your looking at these cards, then your going to need a new mobo...provided you dont have a PCI-E 16x slot.

cleeve

Illustrious
WOW is one of the easiest games on the videocard. I've seen a Ti4200 eat it up and spit it out.

More than an X800 GTO or 6800 GS/GT might even be overkill, even at high resolutions.

But if you have the cash, and want to play it safe for future upgrades, sure... get a 7800 GT, 7800 GTX, or X1800 XT.

Reliability isn't really an issue with either company. Just buy a name brand with a good warranty, no matter who makes it a dud comes out of the factory every once and a while.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Very true: You reminded me as well...

WoW is actually a very RAM intensive game...the more you can throw in your machine, the better. You might want to consider going with a little less of a GPU and take that cash to throw in some more RAM.

sylvez

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
i was a WoW player and yes, i had a Ti4200 P4 2.4Ghz 1GB ram and it worked like a charm

i even cranked it all the way up at 1024 768 max details (minus the AA / AF of course)

it will do better with a better vid card but u definitely dont need a 7800GT

on the other hand, 7800GT seems to be value for money now