[SOLVED] Looking fora Wifi Router with NFC automated connection instead of adding pass word for mobiles

Jun 29, 2018
Looking fora Wifi Router with NFC automated connection instead of adding pass word for mobiles.

I want this to allow guests to connect to the wifi Just by using NFC instead of asking me million times for pass words.

I dont want Guest account because the Wifi can be reached outside my home and I only want indoor guests to access my Wifi automatically.

Solution
there's a simpler tech for routers: wps, can work with a pin (which is regarded as a bit unsecure though) and a physical button wps which is a bit better.

basically you start connecting, without a pass, press a button on the device (router) and it will share the wifi password with the connecting phone or laptop. it's relatively safe as you physically have to press the button and convenient as you never have to remember the password. almost all routers have this, just usually it's default disabled.

this is what the icon looks like in routers, wifi connect wizards etc: http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/KB24343-002_EN_v8.PNG
there's a simpler tech for routers: wps, can work with a pin (which is regarded as a bit unsecure though) and a physical button wps which is a bit better.

basically you start connecting, without a pass, press a button on the device (router) and it will share the wifi password with the connecting phone or laptop. it's relatively safe as you physically have to press the button and convenient as you never have to remember the password. almost all routers have this, just usually it's default disabled.

this is what the icon looks like in routers, wifi connect wizards etc: http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/KB24343-002_EN_v8.PNG

Solution

The flaw with your logic is the idea that you have to push the button. WPS will accept the pin code even without the button being pressed. The button is a second level of being lazy so they don't even have to type in the pin code. The pin code can be cracked with simple cell phone apps in a couple minutes.

Now there may be non standard implementation that only work with the button but most routers follow the standards and accept the pin...and you can not change the pin.

WPS needs to always be disabled in the radio settings in the router. This feature should have been removed from routers long ago when the security exposure was found but they keep it in for all the idiots who are lucky if they can use a toaster.

kanewolf

Titan
I don't believe there are any routers that have a NFC reader built-in. There are some apps that you can create QR codes or NFC tags that allow similar functionality. But all they do is automate password access. You would still have to manually change passwords frequently to prevent "reuse" of the access.