Looking help choosing development path (Game Dev)

digitalhyper

Prominent
Jun 4, 2018
Hey everybody so I’m working towards going into uni doing game development (so I have already started developing but without degree) and am wondering how I can improve myself for the industry and uni. I really like level design, asset design, animation and physics. I’m asking what do you people of the internet think I should shoot for or work towards. Because when I play a game I love viewing the scenery (dying light for example was flawless in the way they encaptioned the city and all) and that’s what I want to be doing. I want to design things that people will look out and go “wow look at that *screenshot*” I just want to know how to really succeed and really get into it. I’m studying for a bachelor in interactive and digital design but I know this would only be entry level. Hence why I am here.

Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it!

Solution
You can no longer pre-select a career path. Things are changing and evolving very fast.

What you can do is learn and continue to learn more. Overall my thoughts would be towards learning and developing VR related skills.

"Really succeed" means dedication, sacrifice, pain. AKA "blood, sweat, and tears".

Take classes, do work, do more work, and do even more work. Learn from failures - you need failures to learn. Challenge yourself.

Sounds rough and it is indeed rough. So the other part is to learn how to balance yourself, your family, and your career goals.

Mantra: "Work hard. Have fun. Be careful. You set the order."

And live with it all.

Ralston18

Titan
You can no longer pre-select a career path. Things are changing and evolving very fast.

What you can do is learn and continue to learn more. Overall my thoughts would be towards learning and developing VR related skills.

"Really succeed" means dedication, sacrifice, pain. AKA "blood, sweat, and tears".

Take classes, do work, do more work, and do even more work. Learn from failures - you need failures to learn. Challenge yourself.

Sounds rough and it is indeed rough. So the other part is to learn how to balance yourself, your family, and your career goals.

Mantra: "Work hard. Have fun. Be careful. You set the order."

And live with it all.

Solution