Looking more for advice, not so much as an answer.

Jan 11, 2019
I am in the process of reconfiguring my home network and have been researching online and teaching myself this stuff. Most of the answers for my questions I Googled came from this site, so why not join.
So, background on why I am re-doing my network. My 2.4g was constantly dropping, to the point where pulling the plug and rebooting was the only option. My ISP was out 4 times and checked cables, removed splitters, reset modem and finally replacing it because I insisted. They even told me they think someone in my area has a jammer....:pfff:. New modem was fine for a few days and started again. So now I was going to figure this out myself. I logged into the cable modem and started my "training".
The 2.4 dropping out and getting killed was the channel being set to auto and it being on channel 3 or 4 depending on when I checked. I changed that and has been good since. That however, is not why I am doing all of this.

While I was in poking around the modem interface, I noticed my IP address count was up to 38. 37 devices in my house plus the modem? Ummm... no. Went around and did a device inventory. 19 devices in house and active. Also, they would not be old devices that could account for it, I changed the password to the wifi a month ago. Came to find out one or more of my kids were giving the passkey out to there friends. Well, I can't have that. Here is what I am planning on using.

Router 1, main ISP supplied cable broadband modem. Only give me generic device names of things on it. MAC Filter can be used on 2.4 or 5g or both.
Router 2, Netgear R6200v2 that I had laying around. Genie App gives me the option to give the device a real name. MAC Filter applies to 2.4 and 5g together.
Going to be using the MAC Filter option on the kids (who range from 18 to 20 years old living here for no rent), so they can't let their freeloading friends on my network.

So, what do you guys think is the best way to go...
A) Router 1, wifi off. Use router 2 for wifi.
B) Router 1, wifi on with different ssid and passkey for wife and I. Router 2 for "kids"
C) If possible, router 1, wifi on. Router 2, wifi on with 5g the same as router one, for better coverage and different 2.4g for kids.
D) Eliminate Router 2 all together and just use Router 1.
E) Other options or suggestions I may have not come across.

Or is it a "try and test" situation.

Sorry this was longer than it needed to be.

RealBeast

Titan
When planning and revising your current network, the best approach is usually to study it a bit (like get a free wifi analyzer phone app) to find out what networks and channels are in use around you by strength.

Figure out what you can easily run by Ethernet and do it -- save wireless bandwidth for where you need it with all those devices.

Then decide if you can get by with just one wireless radio (actually several but in one device) or if having a second unit in AP mode at the other end of the house, or upstairs depending on your floor plan. I prefer to use a main router and AP set up. That also gives you more channels. For 2.4GHz you can use three without interference (1, 6, and 11 the three non-overlapping channels). You will have more 5 GHz bandwidth.

It also sounds like you might want to think about a guest network, which most newer routers support.

Also, think about doling out access to specific SSIDs to evenly spread out your usage -- gaming and streaming Netflix are real hogs, so consider that when dividing up what you have.

TL;dr Think about your needs, see what is there already, plan it, implement.

Jan 11, 2019
@Realbeast
When planning and revising your current network, the best approach is usually to study it a bit (like get a free wifi analyzer phone app) to find out what networks and channels are in use around you by strength.

I have downloaded and watch several app to see the activity and channel uses. It fluctuates so much in a matter of seconds there are no good ones available. I am using 1,6, or 11 with both routers on separate ones. The service provider router keeps losing 2.4, that may be because I have the other one in the same room while I set up the MAC filter. I do need to call the provider though, I noticed a few messages in the log that concern me. "Telenet user logged in from 206.xxx.x.x" this is in there several times right around the time I lose it or it reboots. They already up sold me to a 1 gigabyte service which I see no difference except the bill.

Still tweaking this and doing research. This is a interesting subject. I enjoy it as a hobby. Been working in the Automotive business for 22 years. It has been fun learning something new.

RealBeast

Titan
You have to do a lot of planning to use 1, 6, and 11 more than once or you will get interference and degrade your own network performance -- two uses of the same channel must be quite far apart or the power turned down so that they aren't a problem.

If you have some time to kill and want to skim over a slightly more complex guide take a look at THIS. Don't get overwhelmed trying to read and understand it but skim for relevant information.

Jan 11, 2019
@RealBeast
You have to do a lot of planning to use 1, 6, and 11 more than once or you will get interference and degrade your own network performance -- two uses of the same channel must be quite far apart or the power turned down so that they aren't a problem.

I think I have the channel thing sorted out. I found an app the I ran a scan several times and it is supposed to give you the results of the best channel. I ran with all my signals off, put main router on I believe 5, ran again and AP on 8.

I am having an issue now that has put this setup on hold. I may need to start a new thread on this to see if anyone knows of this, but maybe not. While in my ISP's user interface, in the "Event Logs" under Cable Modem, there are several WARNING messages, about power limit something exceeded... blah blah blah. And a "CRITICAL" TELNET USER LOGGED IN FROM IP 208.59.216.162 which comes back as RCN... my ISP provider. Called them twice asking why or what caused this. They said... we don't have the ability to do that. Ok, can you transfer me to someone who can explain it? No, we don't have a departmentfor that. WTH?! Also, 11:30 pm for the past three night I saw my modem/router reset. Log in, and this same IP logged in right before. As I am typing this, I logged in 3 times, after keeping thme on the phone for 25 minutes this afternoon, to find my "Event Logs" is blank and not updating anymore. I am going to factory reset and change my IP and everything. If it continues I will be switching providers. Something is fishy here... I feel like I am being spied on and lied to.

Can you buy your own modem. Can you put the ISP modem/router into modem only mode.

There are cases of routers having bugs that allow remote access from the internet. Some had things like back door passwords etc. It is very rare and all these exploits have been patched that I know of.

Running the device in modem only mode greatly decreases the ability to remotely access the device. It depends on the type but in general since the modem no longer has control of the single IP address assigned to your connection it is completely inaccessible from the internet.

Running your own modem lets you upgrade the firmware, the ones the ISP has is under their control most times and some ISP are very lazy.

Jan 11, 2019
@RealBeast
My fault, 3 and 8. Typo.

@bill001g
I can buy my own I believe. Researching that option too. As for modem mode for that I don't see an option. Even so, if this is a employee at RCN with some issues or something, I would think they would still have access to it being it is connected to there cable feed. Not sure. Tech support says they can only see the admin log in and password, but not log in. I beg to differ. I have screenshots of it saying someone did.

RealBeast

Titan
Totally agree with bill001g, buying is the way to go if at all possible -- best to check your ISP support pages for a list of compatible modems and then you can use any routers that you like.