Question Looking on guidance to decide between 3060 ti and 3070

Mega19

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2015
Hello,

I have been planning to upgrade my GPU for some time now, since my GTX 1660 super its starting to show its age with a recent monitor upgrade,
taking the 1440p and 144hz experience and recent and future games that i am planning to play in the future such as the resident evil 4 remake or ARMORED CORE VI, which im quite sure my current card wont be able to deliver a proper experience with my new monitor.

So in the end i have been thinking on which card would fit better my needs.
While is great having both i dont really mind choosing just only one thing, 1440p and steady 60fps, or 1080p and 60+fps.
In reality i dont really play much brand new AAA games, most of the time i keep finishing my games backlog that mostly consist of oldish games, some examples are like: dragons dogma, halo 3, bioshock, shin megami tensei III, etc.
but there are exceptions there and there that have been making me want a new GPU.

My current rig is the following:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: GTX 1660 super
MB: MSI b450 tomahawk
RAM: Corsair vengeance LED 2x8GB (16GB)
PSU: Seasonic focus gold 550W
storage: SSD crucial MX500 500 GB and seagate 1TB HDD

Will a 3060 ti just do fine, or should i simply go all the way for a 3070?
Meaning that most likely i should also upgrade my PSU if i were to go for a 3070.

Lutfij

Titan
You're going to need a PSU regardless of which GPU you choose. Wattage alone you're falling short. If we're told the age of the unit...then you will also need to factor in that an aged PSU with miles under it's belt will not output the same amount of power as it did when brand new. Having headroom in your PSU does actually pay off with dividends in the long run.

Reactions: Mega19

Mega19

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2015
You're going to need a PSU regardless of which GPU you choose. Wattage alone you're falling short. If we're told the age of the unit...then you will also need to factor in that an aged PSU with miles under it's belt will not output the same amount of power as it did when brand new. Having headroom in your PSU does actually pay off with dividends in the long run.
Really? i guess you learn something new every day... well the PSU is around 3 years old, how big is the loss?
the ryzen 7 3700x is not that of a power hungry CPU as far i know, so i thought perhaps i could get away with 550w to run a 3060ti