[SOLVED] Looking to Add SSD for first time

Xxfyrus

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
Hello,

I got a new computer that is arriving on friday. It has an SSD in it, but I am looking to add another 500GB-1TB to it. The SSD it comes with is not NVMe type, and I am wondering if someone can help me tell if I will be able to use NVMe type SSD with my mother board.

The motherboard is either MSI Mortar B460 with wifi or MSI Z490 . Sorry I dont remember what one.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Solution
It is a pre built system. I got about 400$ off of this so I was happy to pay about 1300$ considering it comes with a RTX 3070 and is a massive upgrade to my system that has a i7 4770 CPU and GTX 1080 with DDR3 RAM. I am replacing the PSU immediately and am looking to the add the NVMe SSD, but I have no idea how to add that, or uninstall the OS and add it to the faster SSD.

The only thing I know is that a review says it came with AData SSD.

This is the specific computer: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-ae...tx-3070-1tb-ssd-black/6433830.p?skuId=6433830
You don't "uninstall" and "add it to the faster SSD"

Rather...you do a fresh install on the new drive...

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, either of those boards will take an NVMe drive such as a Samsung 970 EVO.

Is this a prebuilt system?
Do you know what specific drive is in it?

Since this is a brand new system, I suggest you do a fresh OS install on the new drive, instead of trying to migrate from the old to the new.
This is AFTER you power it up and get the Windows license activated.

Then, you disconnect the old drive, and do a fresh install on whatever new NVMe SSD you get.

After it is installed on the new drive, then you can wipe ALL partitions from the original drive and use as desired.

Xxfyrus

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
Yes, either of those boards will take an NVMe drive such as a Samsung 970 EVO.

Is this a prebuilt system?
Do you know what specific drive is in it?

Since this is a brand new system, I suggest you do a fresh OS install on the new drive, instead of trying to migrate from the old to the new.
This is AFTER you power it up and get the Windows license activated.

Then, you disconnect the old drive, and do a fresh install on whatever new NVMe SSD you get.

After it is installed on the new drive, then you can wipe ALL partitions from the original drive and use as desired.

It is a pre built system. I got about 400$ off of this so I was happy to pay about 1300$ considering it comes with a RTX 3070 and is a massive upgrade to my system that has a i7 4770 CPU and GTX 1080 with DDR3 RAM. I am replacing the PSU immediately and am looking to the add the NVMe SSD, but I have no idea how to add that, or uninstall the OS and add it to the faster SSD.

This is the specific computer: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-ae...tx-3070-1tb-ssd-black/6433830.p?skuId=6433830

USAFRet

Titan

Rather...you do a fresh install on the new drive, and then DELETE all off the old drive.

The link I included above walks you through a new install.
Again, this must be done AFTER you power up and let the system get its license activated.
Then a new install on a new drive will automatically activate itself.

Solution

Xxfyrus

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016

Rather...you do a fresh install on the new drive, and then DELETE all off the old drive.

The link I included above walks you through a new install.
Again, this must be done AFTER you power up and let the system get its license activated.
Then a new install on a new drive will automatically activate itself.
I'm sorry i did.nt know. Thanks you