Question Looking to add vpn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack10525

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
I'm concerned about my online privacy so I started looking into vpn's. I noticed there are vpn's you can install on your wifi router. This seems like the best way to go since it will protect all my tech.
Can anybody suggest a good vpn for an asus RT-AC68U router?

Old Molases

Prominent
May 3, 2021
There is no best VPN, it all depends upon your needs. Different VPNs are know for different functionalities, such as torrenting, streaming, unblocking etc. For me its the streaming I am mostly after and for that I use Ivacy. You also need to look out for a provider that supports the router you want to set it up for. Most providers have blogs and info on the routers they support.

I'm concerned about my online privacy so I started looking into vpn's. I noticed there are vpn's you can install on your wifi router. This seems like the best way to go since it will protect all my tech.
Can anybody suggest a good vpn for an asus RT-AC68U router?

That is fine. There are several you can pick from and videos on YouTube to show you how.

View: https://youtu.be/s6rSxv87_qY

That said a VPN will not protect you from law enforcement. Do not use a VPN to surf the web. There are multiple ways to defeat VPNs using web browsers from fingerprinting, persistent cookies, and more.

And if you are already a person of interest for potentially breaking the law and start using a VPN you will raise red flags. And if you are interesting enough you will be spear fished and attacked with an exploit. Doesn't matter if you have a VPN or not. Any and all encrypted traffic will be defeated before the vpn software gets the packets in question.

I do endorse VPNs to protect your traffic being sold off by ISP's or when you want to ensure anonymity when talking about sensitive personal topics or trying to prevent big business from collecting personal data. (Ie Facebook) But for this to be truly effective you have to start with a clean machine with new CPU, motherboard, network cards and linux and always always always make sure the VPN is running before you plug in your network cable. No one has perfect hygiene this way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.