[SOLVED] Looking to build a new i7-9700k system

RitterSport

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
From what I can tell, among Intel systems, the i7-9700k is a sweet spot in terms of price and speed. I'm looking to build a new system (my old system is failing -- turns off when starting up a few times, probably the caps in the power supply). I'll use it for gaming and photo editing, plus other office work. My existing system (i7-920) is 9 years old, so I'm over-specifying my needs so I can keep it longer.

I already have the SSDs (more on that later), screens, keyboard, and a mouse. I don't plan on overclocking. I plan on keeping my current GPU for now (GTX 970). I need help choosing:

Motherboard
Memory
Case
Power supply
Uh, CPU fan and heatsink?
Anything else I forgot to ask for?

My current box is about 18 inches high, and it holds 3 or 4 HDs plus a CD-ROM -- it's a good size for me -- is that a midsize case? I think that affects the size of the mobo, too, right?

I like to buy from Newegg more than Amazon, so links to there are appreciated.

On the SSD side -- there must be a thread that discusses moving a system drive to a new build -- I would appreciate a link if you have it handy.

Solution
I have a 1TB SSD and I'm really hoping to use it as-is in the new system. Your list looks great, except I don't think I need any liquid cooling and maybe the Mobo is overkill?

Will any ATX mobo work with any mid tower? Oh, and what's "AIO"? Where would it usually be mounted?
AIO=All In One Cooling. It's a liquid cooler that would require no maintenance but if you prefer to avoid water then a high end air unit would suffice. I'll change the motherboard as well.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($363.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming SLI/ac ATX...

WildCard999

Titan
Budget?

Do you know or can you find out the exact case model? We need to know this not only for motherboard/PSU compatibility but also for the CPU cooler.

For the OS it will require a clean install of Windows so it will be important to backup any files you need (stuff like Steam games can be redownloaded and usually saves are online).

RitterSport

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
Budget?

Do you know or can you find out the exact case model? We need to know this not only for motherboard/PSU compatibility but also for the CPU cooler.

For the OS it will require a clean install of Windows so it will be important to backup any files you need (stuff like Steam games can be redownloaded and usually saves are online).

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm looking to buy a new case, in case things go drastically wrong with the SSD move, so I'll still have an old system as a backup. I mentioned the old case size just to give an idea of the size I'm looking for.

I'm pretty sure that the current system drive can be moved -- it's supposedly not that hard with Windows 10.

ETA: For the budget, I'm looking for good quality parts? The CPU will be about $360, 16 GB of memory is, what $80? No idea on the mobo, etc. Try and keep it under $1,000?

WildCard999

Titan
Thanks for the quick response!

I'm looking to buy a new case, in case things go drastically wrong with the SSD move, so I'll still have an old system as a backup. I mentioned the old case size just to give an idea of the size I'm looking for.

I'm pretty sure that the current system drive can be moved -- it's supposedly not that hard with Windows 10.

ETA: For the budget, I'm looking for good quality parts? The CPU will be about $360, 16 GB of memory is, what $80? No idea on the mobo, etc. Try and keep it under $1,000?
I'd mount the AIO on top as exhaust. PSU is a bit more then you'd need with a 970 however I wanted to go with something that would handle a GPU with a bit more power when desired.

While you said you weren't going to overclock it's a good option to have to squeeze out a bit more performance when needed and the AIO/Motherboard would be good for it.

Last edited:

WildCard999

Titan

RitterSport

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
I have a 1TB SSD and I'm really hoping to use it as-is in the new system. Your list looks great, except I don't think I need any liquid cooling and maybe the Mobo is overkill?

Will any ATX mobo work with any mid tower? Oh, and what's "AIO"? Where would it usually be mounted?

WildCard999

Titan

AIO=All In One Cooling. It's a liquid cooler that would require no maintenance but if you prefer to avoid water then a high end air unit would suffice. I'll change the motherboard as well.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($363.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming SLI/ac ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($153.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($101.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $828.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-17 17:03 EDT-0400

Solution

RitterSport

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
So far, so good. I've built the PC, although I haven't installed my GPU or drive yet. I was able to test the motherboard, CPU, and memory with a Linux Live USB and using the on-board graphics. Tonight, I'll move over my GPU and drives.

I have a question -- the motherboard socket for the CPU power has space for one 8 pin connector and one 4 pin connector. The PSU came with a CPU power cable that has two four pin connectors (one is hooked up to the right side of the eight pin and one is connected to the four pin). Is this OK? Or, do I need the eight pin and four pin CPU power cable?