[SOLVED] Looking to build a new PC. 1080p, 144hz, max settings that will last for a good few years to come.

Thoughts on this build list? I'm pretty sure I'll have to update the BIOS on the mobo before I can use the ryzen 3500, but I figured I'd pay someone to do that for me. If anyone has any ideas, changes, for either budget or performance, let me know. Thanks.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LW9mCL
If you want it to last a few years high FPS on demanding games you’re gonna wanna step
up the GPU. The 5700XT is a simailr price but is similar to the 2070S in performance.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Some changes,

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston A2000 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 8 GB DD Ultra Video Card ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Metallic Gear Neo Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Vengeance 650 W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($84.90 @ Corsair)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PWM PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($8.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $970.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-19 19:56 EST-0500

All ssd,(yes you've got 250mb less :p)
did change case,but just see if you like it.
Did change to the RX 5700.
changed psu too.
xtra fan for in the back.

The motherboard supports usb bios flashback which means you can flash the latest bios on it without even needing parts in it.

Edited since in the pcpartpicker the 3600X is just $10 more expensive and imo worth it. Just let it do it's Boost thing and leave overclocking for others.

Oh ..... for another nice but cheap case,
Metallic Gear Neo Silent ATX Mid Tower Case (MG-NE520S_BK01) - PCPartPicker
needs imo the extra fan as well.

Last edited:
Solution

dudeguy6218

Commendable
Jun 15, 2017
Some changes,

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston A2000 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 8 GB DD Ultra Video Card ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Metallic Gear Neo Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Vengeance 650 W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($84.90 @ Corsair)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PWM PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($8.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $970.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-19 19:56 EST-0500

All ssd,(yes you've got 250mb less :p)
did change case,but just see if you like it.
Did change to the RX 5700.
changed psu too.
xtra fan for in the back.

The motherboard supports usb bios flashback which means you can flash the latest bios on it without even needing parts in it.

Edited since in the pcpartpicker the 3600X is just $10 more expensive and imo worth it. Just let it do it's Boost thing and leave overclocking for others.

Oh ..... for another nice but cheap case,
Metallic Gear Neo Silent ATX Mid Tower Case (MG-NE520S_BK01) - PCPartPicker
needs imo the extra fan as well.

This list looks a bit better. Is there any benefit to updating the BIOS in the x470 I had originally vs the B450 in your list? i.e. any major difference between the two? Also, difference between the WDD 1tb hdd vs ssd? I feel like there should be a much larger gap in price between them. Thanks.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
This list looks a bit better. Is there any benefit to updating the BIOS in the x470 I had originally vs the B450 in your list? i.e. any major difference between the two?
The MSI Tomahawk boards are pretty solid boards that even suport some overclocking although i said that with the 3600X i would just leave that alone. The X470 might have a little better vrm and has alittle better audiocodec 1220A vs ALC 892. The chip for the lan might be just abit better too.
Both do well when it comes to fan headers,both 6 of them.

It's up to you,if you know someone who can update that Asus motherboard for you see i no reason not to go for that one. Chose the MSI for it's usb bios flashback and that afiak it's a stable motherboard with still good features for it's price.
Having said that with what the Asus costs are you so close to getting a board with a X570 xhipset that such a board is probably preferred.
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard vs. ASRock X570 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard vs. ASRock X570 Steel Legend ATX AM4 Motherboard - PCPartPicker
a few tenners extra,but i do like the "Steel Legend" in that list.

Also, difference between the WDD 1tb hdd vs ssd? I feel like there should be a much larger gap in price between them. Thanks.
The difference in gap is the smaller ssd,i chose the 250gb Kingston NVME for bootdrive where you chose a Samsung sata disc which is almost twice the price.

dudeguy6218

Commendable
Jun 15, 2017
The MSI Tomahawk boards are pretty solid boards that even suport some overclocking although i said that with the 3600X i would just leave that alone. The X470 might have a little better vrm and has alittle better audiocodec 1220A vs ALC 892. The chip for the lan might be just abit better too.
Both do well when it comes to fan headers,both 6 of them.

It's up to you,if you know someone who can update that Asus motherboard for you see i no reason not to go for that one. Chose the MSI for it's usb bios flashback and that afiak it's a stable motherboard with still good features for it's price.
Having said that with what the Asus costs are you so close to getting a board with a X570 xhipset that such a board is probably preferred.
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard vs. ASRock X570 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard vs. ASRock X570 Steel Legend ATX AM4 Motherboard - PCPartPicker
a few tenners extra,but i do like the "Steel Legend" in that list.

The difference in gap is the smaller ssd,i chose the 250gb Kingston NVME for bootdrive where you chose a Samsung sata disc which is almost twice the price.

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for explaining. Do you see any major problems with the original Phanteks 350x case for this build? Or how the airflow/cooling would be? I really like that case and it's price point, but I can't seem to find too many reviews on how to set it up to keep decent temps. Thanks.

Edit: I've been looking and I think the Phanteks Eclipse P400A is looking like a better option in terms of cooling vs the 350x. Thoughts on either?

Last edited: