Looking to build a new pc for around $1,000. Need som advice.

MrBlitz

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
Hello I was recently looking into building this computer build for gaming.

After rebates it comes to $1264.69. However I already have my own SSD and HDD for storage, and was wondering if SDGR-500T power supply would be suffcient, and if my case would do which is this one, sorry I don't know the name it's a coolermaster cyberpowerpc case.

After all of those things removed, if it can be done, the total price comes to $892.84 with rebates, link

If anyone has suggestions for better or similiar builds please let me know, I'm trying to game at either 1080p or in the future 1440p. Thank you!

My current build is: MOBO: ASRock 960GM-GS3 FX
CPU: AMD FX-4100
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (twin frozr)
RAM: 4GB (x2) DDR3
Powersupply: SDGR-500T

Solution
The SDGR PSU might be one of the worst units for a modern build I ever encountered.
Basically everything today is on 12V, the "500W" PSU can only deliver 350W on the 12V rail and will have serious trouble sustaining the build above if you plan to overclock it and doesn't look like a high quality unit in general.

The units suggested in the future-build link however would be high quality choices.

Generally the suggested build minus storage seems pretty good.
As for your case I honestly dont know as I'm on my phone right now and its a pain finding anything that way...
The SDGR PSU might be one of the worst units for a modern build I ever encountered.
Basically everything today is on 12V, the "500W" PSU can only deliver 350W on the 12V rail and will have serious trouble sustaining the build above if you plan to overclock it and doesn't look like a high quality unit in general.

The units suggested in the future-build link however would be high quality choices.

Generally the suggested build minus storage seems pretty good.
As for your case I honestly dont know as I'm on my phone right now and its a pain finding anything that way...

Solution
Wow the first time I read this I thought you said you were trying to build with the 4100 and a GTX 660 FOR $1000 lol

Anyways...
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nsy6D8

I take it you're going to reuse storage?

Also, I'd recommend against using an older PSU with new parts. A) it's used, B) new parts demand new power supply to lower the risk of the PSU frying it.
That's just my advice.

If you wanna use the full budget, why not upgrade to a GeForce gtx 10XX from NVIDIA, and get an i7 6700 (or get any skylake k version CPU if you plan on overclocking)
Or you could get more RAM, more storage, whatever you feel is more needed. The build I linked is merely a nice gaming build, you can expand it however you like.

MrBlitz

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014

Yeah without the drives and keeping everything else, it comes to out to ruffly $1,050 which isn't to bad.

MrBlitz

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014

Yeah this seems to be the way I'm wanting to go. I am gonna reuse storage, don't know yet if I could afford both a 1060/70/80 and I7 and new ram though. Including new case, power supply, and mobo.

That build is $820 (from where I live and my readily accessible stores) so you might wanna get an i7 and maybe double the RAM or something if you wanna bridge the gap to 1000.

GTX 1070 is a pretty good improvement over RX 480 however, I would shoot for that even.