Looking To Build A New Video Encoding System

dpriest

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
I am looking to upgrade my current system which has the i7-4770k processor with 16gb of ddr3 Asus H87M-E running windows 7 which I use primarily now for Handbrake encoding, using high quality custom settings using the x.264 encoder and now looking to do more x265 encoding. I DO NOT GAME AT ALL. After researching the internet and looking at Handbrake benchmark tests, I am looking to build a system with the Ryzen Threadripper 1950x. This is my first time building a system from scratch.

I would like to build a somewhat cost effective very robust system for video encoding, specifically for Handbrake and would like opinions on the components I am choosing from pcpartpicker. I am planning on overclocking the processor. Here is what I have chosen so far and if I can save money in any area that will not compromise performance, please let me know.

Quick link to my prospective build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2tBdCb

AMD - Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz 16-Core Processor $879.49
Noctua - NT-H1 3.5g Thermal Paste $5.98
Enermax - LiqTech TR4 360 102.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $149.98
ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard $333.98
**G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $356.99**
Question about memory: Is it better to have 2x16gb or 4x8gb for memory and for performance, will 2800, 3000 or 3200 memory make a difference?

Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $199.99
I have a 1TB Seagate 7200rpm I will use from my current system and a Samsung 850 evo 250gb SSD I can also use.

Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB D5 Video Card $149.89
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MEGB6LK/?tag=pcpapi-20
I don't know anything about video cards except they don't affect performance for Handbrake encoding. Thoughts about this card?

Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case $97.49
https://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-Enthoo-Chassis-Window-PH-ES614P_BK/dp/B00K6S1B3Q

EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $139.99

Solution

All of thee above. I get higher quality than Handbrake as Staxrip has GUI and also custom strings for all the encoder parameters. Also works with imported and custom AVS and Vaporsynth scripts.

Encode time of Stax vs Handbrake is comparable. I...

dpriest

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
I spoke to an Asrock tech support person and he said to stay away from G.Skills memory with their board and to stick with Crucial or Corsair. Any other advice or thoughts regarding my questions?? I'd like to start ordering the parts.

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Q: Question about memory: Is it better to have 2x16gb or 4x8gb for memory and for performance, will 2800, 3000 or 3200 memory make a difference?

A: The infinity fabric between the CPUs runs at the speed of the RAM, thus faster RAM really does help performance more than intel systems.

Side Note: I switched away from Handbrake to Staxrip, as I find it far more powerful and I am able to get much better results.

dpriest

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
I've been curious about staxrip and don't know anything about it. I am still encoding a lot of mkv files to mp4 with the x264 codec. Quality is important to me so in the advanced settings, I customize things and save them as a preset. Does Staxrip yield the same quality as Handbrake and can I burn subtitles into the files as well as work with ac3, DTS? The other question I have is if the encode time would be faster without compromising quality and if so, would I need a graphics card?

dpriest

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
I've been curious about staxrip and don't know anything about it. I am still encoding a lot of mkv files to mp4 with the x264 codec. Quality is important to me so in the advanced settings, I customize things and save them as a preset. Does Staxrip yield the same quality as Handbrake and can I burn subtitles into the files as well as work with ac3, DTS? The other question I have is if the encode time would be faster without compromising quality and if so, would I need a graphics card?

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006

All of thee above. I get higher quality than Handbrake as Staxrip has GUI and also custom strings for all the encoder parameters. Also works with imported and custom AVS and Vaporsynth scripts.

Encode time of Stax vs Handbrake is comparable. I find that my tuning of settings makes Stax slower than Handbrake as I had more control of the options. As for audio; for example Stax lets one pick from six different AAC encoders.
Stax also enables all the GPU based encoding if that is your interest. I do x265 1080p or 4K encoding myself.

I don't know anything about video cards except they don't affect performance for Handbrake encoding. Thoughts about this card?
Nvidia has quick Nvenc encoding on all there cards. I have only used it as a lossless pass, or preview pass as it will do 100s of FPS. Only issue is it needs twice the bitrate for a given quality as software encoding. The choice of GTX 1050 would suit your build I think.

Solution

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Oh. I encode on both a Ryzen 7 1700 (@3.5GHz) and a i7-7700k (@4.9GHz). Just built the Ryzen last week, it seems at first impression slightly faster but only using 70% CPU (vs 100%) and 30C cooler while doing so. I should do an apples to apples benchmarking encode on those two.

TRENDING THREADS