[SOLVED] Looking to build a pc for 350-400$.. help?

Ok so my girlfriends mom needs a new pc and Im going to build it for her.

She says she does mostly things like Excel and Outlook. Some Youtube but not much.

She wants a decent system capable of keeping up with work operations basically like documents, and online schooling.

What would you guys recommend? And yes if we could do it cheaper thatd be fine too but I figure for about 350-400$ she would have some headroom for maybe some slightly more demanding tasks.

THANKS AHEAD OF TIME!

Solution
Ryzen3 2200G or 3200G seems like they would be up to the task, comfortably.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($78.97 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA SU635 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Case: GameMax Expedition MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.33 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($53.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $314.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts...
Um I have no idea what happened but when I posted this it said server error everytime I hit post, and now there are several of this same post.

If a moderator could please delete the extra posts Id appreciate it, I have no idea why we cannot delete posts, but if we can please tell me how! THANKS!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($53.88 @ OutletPC)
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-25 23:42 EDT-0400

Could go to a 2400G/3400G.. increase storage or RAM, and still come in roughly where you suggested to her.

Reactions: Jason H.
Solution

PCPartPicker Part List

Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-25 23:42 EDT-0400

Could go to a 2400G/3400G.. increase storage or RAM, and still come in roughly where you suggested to her.

tyvm sir!

Looks pretty good for the price. Ill run it by her and see what she thinks!

1 last question, I was going to buy 1 of those Adata ssd's for my personal gaming rig but someone talked me out of it. I seen some videos saying they were really good drives for the price. Do you think thats true as well for something like a gaming rig? basically just for storage?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
They're not the fastest SSDs in the world - but I've used a few for some basic laptop upgrades, along with Silicon Power.
For a basic use system, or as a step up from spinning disks, they're great.

For use as strictly storage, I'd have no problem recommending.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Athlon 200GE 3.2 GHz Dual-Core Processor ($54.30 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Patriot Scorch 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($58.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: ASRock DESKMINI A300W AMD Socket AM4 1 x HDMI Barebone System ($153.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $302.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-28 13:46 EDT-0400

Tiny, and wifi is included. I went with a super-low end CPU, but that should be plenty for the type of usage you described.

Also, if you live near a MicroCenter, currently the Athlon 200GE is available there for $39.99 plus tax, saving another $14. Or, giving you extra room to get the 240GE, which MicroCenter has for $49.99 plus tax. The MicroCenter deals are in-store only, though.

If you are unsure of Patriot, and want to go Intel 660p for the SSD, it's only $4 more.

EDIT: You might also look at what your GF's mom really needs in terms of storage. My dad's been using his PC for several years, but, while it had a 1TB HDD, it turns out he was only using a grand total of 50GB of space on it for everything (OS, Applications, and his own documents and files). If your gf's mom's usage is similar, then a smaller SSD might be worth considering if it's proportionally cheaper. (note my own "Micro Machine" in my sig - I went with 128GB at the time because for what I was using the machine for, even 128GB was well beyond what I needed).

They're not the fastest SSDs in the world - but I've used a few for some basic laptop upgrades, along with Silicon Power.
For a basic use system, or as a step up from spinning disks, they're great.

For use as strictly storage, I'd have no problem recommending.

Well I would be running games from the ssd, basically just transferring the games currently on my HDD to it.

Ill probly just end up getting a 500gb 860 evo (I have thge 250gb for my main drive) just because I know its great.

Basically I just wanted something cheap that would allow me to install games faster and have faster loading times over my HDD, not something Ill really be using for windows or anything.

The key to performance in a desktop is to have a ssd.

I think I would look for a lenovo tiny like this one for $200.
It includes windows and a 240gb ssd.
You might up the ram from 4gb to 8gb.
https://www.newegg.com/lenovo-thinkcenter-m92p-tiny-business-desktops-workstations/p/1VK-0003-06DN5

If you want to build one yourself, find a good looking case.
Integrated graphics and perhaps a G5400 processor.

TYVM for the recommendation but her budget is a bit higher so we can get her a decent system with some headroom.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Athlon 200GE 3.2 GHz Dual-Core Processor ($54.30 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Patriot Scorch 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($58.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: ASRock DESKMINI A300W AMD Socket AM4 1 x HDMI Barebone System ($153.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $302.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-28 13:46 EDT-0400

Tiny, and wifi is included. I went with a super-low end CPU, but that should be plenty for the type of usage you described.

Also, if you live near a MicroCenter, currently the Athlon 200GE is available there for $39.99 plus tax, saving another $14. Or, giving you extra room to get the 240GE, which MicroCenter has for $49.99 plus tax. The MicroCenter deals are in-store only, though.

If you are unsure of Patriot, and want to go Intel 660p for the SSD, it's only $4 more.

EDIT: You might also look at what your GF's mom really needs in terms of storage. My dad's been using his PC for several years, but, while it had a 1TB HDD, it turns out he was only using a grand total of 50GB of space on it for everything (OS, Applications, and his own documents and files). If your gf's mom's usage is similar, then a smaller SSD might be worth considering if it's proportionally cheaper. (note my own "Micro Machine" in my sig - I went with 128GB at the time because for what I was using the machine for, even 128GB was well beyond what I needed).

TYVM for the recommendation, however I dont want to give her a dual core cpu. I want the PC to have headroom in case her or her husband find new things they want to do on the computer and I want them to be able to if they want to. I dont want to build them a limited system, especially cpu limited.

TBH the 1st guy who recommended a system is more the route I was thinking in my head. A nice decent quad core cpu with 8gb ram (which should be more than they need even 5 years from now) and a ssd. Im just not very knowledgable when it comes to browsing/light work load pcs.

However I appreciate the recommendation its not a terrible build, I just dont like the dual core. Plus I want to get them a decent looking case, something that doesnt look dated and the 1st guy recommended a decent little case with the see through window (which isnt really needed for this type of system but I feel they would like it better due to asthetic)