[SOLVED] ~Looking to build a personal server for games, file and website hosting.

kemorno

Distinguished
May 28, 2016
As said in the title, i'm looking for a server that could host servers for multiplayer games like minecraft (modded), terraria and any other multiplayer games that can be demanding for a pc to have the server and the game running (I have a PC cappable of that but i'd ratter have a server running).
Also i would like to use that server to host files that i could access online when i'm not at home or for other people to download (locked by a password or something of sort).
And finally i would like a website to host a personal website.

I know about rigs for personal use, but i don't know nothing about server specific hardware/software.
How should i start planning my server rig? Any brands that should be avoided?

Solution
any pc is a "server" if you put server software on it. many people use that 10 year old pc they had sitting around as a file server. it's good enough for the job. if your normal pc is good enough for a minecraft server, then the same pc dedicated to the same is also good enough

no reason to spend crazy money on a server board/cpu and all that other expensive stuff. just build a pc that will handle the task and then set it up and you've got a "server"

do look into securing it though as sharing files and such over the web opens you up to a bunch of security risks. especially if it will share a game server since that already let's a bunch of people into the system. won't take much to mess the whole thing up if they wish to. hosting a...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
any pc is a "server" if you put server software on it. many people use that 10 year old pc they had sitting around as a file server. it's good enough for the job. if your normal pc is good enough for a minecraft server, then the same pc dedicated to the same is also good enough

no reason to spend crazy money on a server board/cpu and all that other expensive stuff. just build a pc that will handle the task and then set it up and you've got a "server"

do look into securing it though as sharing files and such over the web opens you up to a bunch of security risks. especially if it will share a game server since that already let's a bunch of people into the system. won't take much to mess the whole thing up if they wish to. hosting a public website also brings a lot of security risks. don't think a simple password will keep people out, as it won't even slow the average bad guy down.

Solution

kemorno

Distinguished
May 28, 2016

do look into securing it though as sharing files and such over the web opens you up to a bunch of security risks. especially if it will share a game server since that already let's a bunch of people into the system. won't take much to mess the whole thing up if they wish to. hosting a public website also brings a lot of security risks. don't think a simple password will keep people out, as it won't even slow the average bad guy down.
Noted. About the software and connecting to the server... Should i install a windows server?
I don't want to have another monitor just for the server, is there a way for me to ie:Open a windows VM on my main rig that is the server and control it via that?

kanewolf

Titan
linux or just regular windows is fine. you already know how to set it up that way, so why make it hard for yourself :)

plus windows server is stupid expensive
Since the desire is to have this sever accessible to the Web, it is a lower risk, IMO, of being compromised if it is a current Linux distro.
Personally, I would never have a public facing web server on my home network. Even file sharing can be more secure using cloud based storage.
Game server are less of a risk, especially if you use atypical ports.

USAFRet

Titan
At this level, the "server" is just the software. Does NOT need dedicated server hardware.

But as above, you need to be really really really careful about allowing outside access.
Every public facing device on the internet gets pinged all the time, looking for a way in.
Currently, your router throws those away, as it should.

If you open up a hole for YOU to access, maybe someone else can as well.

They're not picking out your system...but systematically going through every possible IP address, one by one. If they get a response from something (your public facing webserver), that warrants a closer look and additional attempts to access.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Since the desire is to have this sever accessible to the Web, it is a lower risk, IMO, of being compromised if it is a current Linux distro.
Personally, I would never have a public facing web server on my home network. Even file sharing can be more secure using cloud based storage.
Game server are less of a risk, especially if you use atypical ports.

i'd agree assuming the parts to build it are not sitting around already. a cloud machine is easy to set up and not to expensive to use. would be safer for sure. you can secure your home server but since it wil be vulnerable, that makes the rest of your home network vulnerable. once i get into your server, the rest of your stuff is not that far away for me, especially if you have a file server set-up for the rest to access. we are not saying don't do it, just that you do need to know the risks associated with a web server on your home network