Question Looking to build around Rx590 red devil..

Oct 23, 2019
Hello my fellow gamers!
I had another thread about setting up a new rig and now I'm finally looking to get a new pc and I'm considering a:
•Ryzen 5
•RX590 gddr5 graphics card

They are the main components and I will build around it..

Or should I scrap that idea and go a totally different route?

Opinions welcome!

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It might be worth considering the 5500XT given its lesser power draw, and generally around the same price, or maybe slightly higher for the 8GB models, than the RX590.

The two cards generally trade blows with each other.

But, what video card you should get depends on:
  • What games will you play
  • What are the specs of your monitor (resolution, refresh rate, and does it have FreeSync, GSync, or neither)

If you're in the US, then the AF version of the Ryzen 5 1600, while it gives up some performance compared to the 2600, 2600X, 3600, and 3600X, is available for $85, and thus is great on the performance-per-dollar level.

Reactions: Cypriotgeeza
Oct 23, 2019
Hi mate, I'm in the UK and will be running it on my 42inch LG TV..not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing when it comes to gaming but I've been using it for the last 8 years on my old rig and it's been amazing..

The game which started showing me that rig was getting old was Resident evil 2..even on the lowest settings it was crapping out lol

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I'm finally looking to get a new pc and I'm considering a
Ryzen 5
RX590 gddr5 graphics card

They are the main components and I will build around it..

Or should I scrap that idea and go a totally different route?

Opinions welcome!

Hi @Cypriotgeeza

Lets start with a budget. How much can you realistically spend right now?

Once we know how much we can work with, you'll have several builds to choose from in no time!

So! How much mula ya got? :D

Edit: - Just saw you are in the UK, so change mula to #'s lol..

As per your PM I'm here and glad to lend a hand, but as mentioned already we'll need a budget and any specific criteria you want to meet for the build. Also, knowing exactly WHICH components you are looking to replace, ie, are you JUST wanting a new board, memory, CPU and graphics card?

What does your current machine consist of and how old are each of the parts involved, or you looking to do an ENTIRELY new build?

Oct 23, 2019
Hi @Cypriotgeeza

Lets start with a budget. How much can you realistically spend right now?

Once we know how much we can work with, you'll have several builds to choose from in no time!

So! How much mula ya got? :D

In what currency we talking mate? 🤑🤑 Lol

What can I get for up to £600? I'd like to spend more but IF I can get a good rig for that price why pay more?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi mate, I'm in the UK and will be running it on my 42inch LG TV..not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing when it comes to gaming but I've been using it for the last 8 years on my old rig and it's been amazing..

The game which started showing me that rig was getting old was Resident evil 2..even on the lowest settings it was crapping out lol
Am I correct in assuming that:
  • The TV is 1920 x 1080 resolution, with a 60Hz refresh? AND...
  • You have no plans to change to a different TV or a monitor anytime in the next year or so?

Oct 23, 2019
As per your PM I'm here and glad to lend a hand, but as mentioned already we'll need a budget and any specific criteria you want to meet for the build. Also, knowing exactly WHICH components you are looking to replace, ie, are you JUST wanting a new board, memory, CPU and graphics card?

What does your current machine consist of and how old are each of the parts involved, or you looking to do an ENTIRELY new build?

Hello my friend, well I'm thinking around the £600 mark and I'm considering just getting a whole new rig now.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yep and not planning to change it anytime soon..as long as it keeps working 😬🤞🏼

I started putting together a list assuming that would be your answer, and came up with the following:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£107.58 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£80.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£70.09 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£108.48 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5500 XT 4 GB PULSE Video Card (£166.97 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£82.99 @ Box Limited)
Total: £617.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-03 21:02 GMT+0000

Now, this does NOT include:
  • Windows 10 License
  • Case
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse

Also, you can shave about £42 off the price by going with an RX570 8GB
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/kJkj4D/xfx-radeon-rx-570-8gb-video-card-rx-570p8dfd6

but that would mean medium settings at 1920x1080 for most games, whereas the RX 5500XT would allow for high settings. The 5500XT performs about where the RX 590 does. Maybe a little less in some titles, as it's the 4GB version, so the 8GB version of the 5500XT would go for £30 more than the 4GB version.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...rx-5500-xt-8-gb-pulse-video-card-11295-01-20g

The 590 8GB generally goes for around the 5500XT 4GB price, but the 590 is a power hungry card (225W TDP vs the 5500XT's ~140W, I think) - here's list of the UK RX 590 cards sorted by price.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=431&sort=price&page=1

That budget is a bit low if you're needing to replace everything. £750 would be a lot more realistic if you need a CPU, motherboard, memory, graphics card, power supply, SSD and probably HDD, power supply, case, few case fans, etc.

I'm already at your budget without even adding the power supply, case, or storage devices. And that's with a pretty minimal hardware selection. Is there any chance you can stretch that budget OR that you have components that truthfully are worth re-using?

Oct 23, 2019
Firstly I'd like to say thanks to everyone for your replies so far it is much appreciated!

I'm not sure if any of my old components are reusable as it's 8 years old and when I posted the screen shots of it on my last thread the general consensus was that it would cause bottle necks etc.
(I can't seem to figure out how to post the screen shots again 😳)

I figured £600 would be a bit on the low side and if I wanted a good quality rig it would push the £700 mark at least..

That has a graphics card that isn't much better than current level integrated graphics. So yeah, by the time you add an other £200-250-ish or whatever the cost of a graphics card ends up being, you are still in the same price range HOWEVER you end up with crappier parts that way because the case, power supply, motherboard and memory, plus also probably the drives, that they include, are going to be bottom of the barrel.

Let me see what I can do with £700.

Oct 23, 2019
That has a graphics card that isn't much better than current level integrated graphics. So yeah, by the time you add an other £200-250-ish or whatever the cost of a graphics card ends up being, you are still in the same price range HOWEVER you end up with crappier parts that way because the case, power supply, motherboard and memory, plus also probably the drives, that they include, are going to be bottom of the barrel.

Let me see what I can do with £700.

Yep exactly what I was thinking..
Thanks again 😬

Oct 23, 2019
I started putting together a list assuming that would be your answer, and came up with the following:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£107.58 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£80.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£70.09 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£108.48 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5500 XT 4 GB PULSE Video Card (£166.97 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£82.99 @ Box Limited)
Total: £617.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-03 21:02 GMT+0000

Now, this does NOT include:
  • Windows 10 License
  • Case
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
Also, you can shave about £42 off the price by going with an RX570 8GB
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/kJkj4D/xfx-radeon-rx-570-8gb-video-card-rx-570p8dfd6

but that would mean medium settings at 1920x1080 for most games, whereas the RX 5500XT would allow for high settings. The 5500XT performs about where the RX 590 does. Maybe a little less in some titles, as it's the 4GB version, so the 8GB version of the 5500XT would go for £30 more than the 4GB version.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...rx-5500-xt-8-gb-pulse-video-card-11295-01-20g

The 590 8GB generally goes for around the 5500XT 4GB price, but the 590 is a power hungry card (225W TDP vs the 5500XT's ~140W, I think) - here's list of the UK RX 590 cards sorted by price.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=431&sort=price&page=1

From looking online 5500xt Vs R590 some tests showed that the 590 performed slightly better but the 5500xt ran using less power..

Does it make that much of a difference? Or is either good options?

Minimum frame rates, which is where most gamers see problems, is about an average of 10FPS higher on the 1660 Super than they are on the RX 590, which means probably about 12FPS average higher than the RX 5500 XT. Being as those minimums are hanging around the 60FPS area at Ultra settings, it could be a factor for some games if you are trying to run at Ultra. Dropping a few settings down or dropping to high settings is probably going to put any of these cards past 60FPS with no problem.

There is a second reason I'm recommending an Nvidia card though and that is the fact that the driver support is generally much better. AMD is a good option in some cases at a budget price, but there have been some issues with drivers on many of the Navi cards. Not everybody is having these issues but there are enough people having them to make it hard to ignore.

Put those two factors together and spending a few more bucks on an Nvidia based card seems like a bargain if you don't want to deal with headaches.

Well, I'm a little bit over the 700 pounds I was shooting for, but I really don't think you want to do anything lower than this if you want any chance at playing Ultra settings in at least some titles. If you are ok with only high or combination of medium-high in most titles, then the RX 5500 XT is probably the best deal but you will have to drop some settings with that card.

So, this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£147.98 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£98.99 @ Box Limited)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£81.83 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Intel 660p 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£67.03 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB GamingPro OC Video Card (£214.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case (£52.35 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£64.98 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £728.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-04 02:30 GMT+0000

Or this, would be some good choices and you can nit pick things from there. Keep in mind, I also dropped out the 1TB HDD I was going to include because it took the budget up to over 760 pounds, and I figured if you have a system now you probably have a hard drive or another SSD you can pull out and add to the M.2 SSD I included on these builds for dedicated game storage. Obviously, that's all up to you. If you want a new HDD and can include the budget for it, then it's not a bad idea. Even a separate SSD, maybe down the road, for game files, would be smart.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£147.98 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£98.99 @ Box Limited)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£81.83 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Intel 660p 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£67.03 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5500 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card (£196.47 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£64.98 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £709.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-04 02:36 GMT+0000

Obviously, it's possible to get the budget down even further by using lower performance hardware, like 2nd Gen Ryzen rather than 3rd Gen like I used here, but honestly at this point in time I think it's a waste of money for a gaming machine because you are already going to be limited in what you can do and will be installing something that people are already upgrading to get away from as it is. No sense in installing something that already needs to be upgraded IMO. But, I also understand that sometimes you have to work with what you have and some options just can't remain on the table due to budget. If that's the case, we can swap out the 3600 for a 2nd Gen Ryzen CPU but if there is any way you can avoid doing that I believe it is very much to your benefit to not do that.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Performance-wise, they should be about the same, the RX590 doing better in some, the 5500XT doing better in others.

I would prefer the 5500XT for the newer architecture, and lesser power draw. Less heat for your system to deal with.

Further, the RX590, despite its 12nm process (vs the 14nm of the 580 and 570), is bizarrely inefficient. About a 10% increase over the 580 in gaming, but a 25% higher power demand when maxed out. That would suggest to me that the Polaris architecture was really being pushed to its limit, which makes me a little uncomfortable.

If they were the same price, I wouldn't hesitate, and would say go with the 5500XT. But, the lesser memory does concern me a little.

The problem with trying to get the 8GB version of the 5500XT is that it now gets very close to the GTX 1660 price... and the GTX 1660 is a far better deal when you're at the $200 GPU point.

I would say that, to start with, go with an inexpensive RX 570 4GB, and see how it goes. You can always upgrade later on, if need be, and at that point, prices may have come down a bit.

Though, when I think on this, it might help to know the full specs of what you have currently - to give us an idea of what you've become accustomed to dealing with.

And I have different thoughts on that process. To me, it makes no sense to spend 140 bucks on a graphics card now, to find out it's not going to do what you want it to do, and it won't, not if you look at the minimum frame rates that card gets in most reviews at 1080p Ultra, so unless you are really ok with medium to high settings, that card will be a letdown. But that's not where it ends in this scenario, because now you have to also buy another card, at over 200 bucks, to get what you really want, which means you've spent ~360 dollars on graphics cards, and you MIGHT be able to recoup around 80 bucks of that back if you sell that first card.

I think even if you have to wait a little longer to get the extra cash, you are much better off buying a card that you either KNOW is better than what you need for meeting your expectations or at least is capable of meeting them for the most part.

Again, much depends on expectations too. If most high settings with a few sliders dropped to the left on games that need it is ok with you, then the card you need is going to be a bit less expensive than if you mostly want to be able to hit 60FPS on Ultra settings for the majority of games you play.

Oct 23, 2019
Wow, I really can't believe the in depth answer you guys have given! 😊

It gives me much to think about, from what you guys are saying and the parts list it looks like I'll be deciding on the 5500xt or GTX 1660 super..just makes more sense and you guys know what you are talking about so I know I can trust it!

@King_V : how can I upload pics on here mate as I have screen shots of what I have had for the last 8 years and I can show you..it was a good rig for me at the time..played most games medium to high but the games weren't as power hungry as today's selection so I guess that's why it was good.

@Darkbreeze : I live by the motto "If you're going to do something do it right first time" do I'd like to build a rig i want and not have to change graphics cards untill mine become old so I'd definitely be looking at the stuff you guys advised now!

Last edited:
I made a guide for that.

And if you go for something from the Nvidia camp, you really want the extra bump that the 1660 Super gives you over the regular 1660. Looking at the regular 1660 you might just as well go with the RX 5500 XT and save a few bucks if you're going to do that. I don't even know why that card exists anymore. It's like ten bucks more for the 1660 Super than the regular 1660 and you get about 5-10 higher minimum FPS, on average, more in some games less in others, which is definitely worth it for a ten dollar investment.

The 1660 ti would even be a MUCH better option, but then you're talking about another 20-30 bucks above the cost of the 1660 Super. Again, worth it because you get another nice bump that puts you smack dab in the middle of pretty much all Ultra settings for most games although there will still be a few that you'll likely need to drop a few sliders for because they are just particularly demanding games.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019
v1d0P9o.jpg

AGxa2F8.jpg

o5wnkN0.jpg

Got there in the end 🤦🏻‍♂️

Well, with that system, just about anything you upgrade to is going to give you a pretty worldly jump in performance.

Might even be worth making a few changes to the build and looking at something like this instead, which gets you into an RX 5600 XT that beats all of these other cards hands down.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£113.99 @ AWD-IT)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£99.95 @ AWD-IT)
Storage: Crucial BX500 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£58.79 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB Video Card (£254.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£54.71 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £716.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-04 09:29 GMT+0000