[SOLVED] Looking to build my first Custom Loop for SLI 1080ti's (Advice/ Required Components)

Jun 2, 2020
3D Mark Benchmarks:
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/12619830

Currently gaming at 4k my PC is PUNCHING out heat, all the components are at a quite reasonable temperature.

I have an EVGA CLC 240 with two noctua radiator fans then 5 more noctua fans in my Lian Li Dynamic Case
i have the radiator with an extra fan on top, one slim at the bottom to the right of the gpu blowing air up, and 3 noctua's vertically stacked as exhuast fans. ALL FANS are exhuast except the fan on the bottom blowing air up inside of the case

Just looking to build a custom loop for my two GPU's (1080ti Aorus Xtreme)
Hoping to not have to spend more than 400$

The cost is not really important i just wanna keep the temps down as low as possible so i can OC my cards for more than 120 frames in 4k.

Solution
Unless you're planning on using cheap components that $400 isn't going to be enough. You're looking at close to 300 in just gpu blocks and backplates(unless they're included). And that's if blocks are available for those cards, have you looked? Unless itsa reference pcb, or they made blocks for that specific pcb, you're going to struggle to find any.

Then add at least 100 for a quality pump/res. 40-50 for fittings. Then the cost of a rad, tubing, and coolant. Factor in whether you want a drain setup or not.

Since you already have noctua fans, there's a good chance you'll at least be able to reuse those. Depending on which model they are.
Unless you're planning on using cheap components that $400 isn't going to be enough. You're looking at close to 300 in just gpu blocks and backplates(unless they're included). And that's if blocks are available for those cards, have you looked? Unless itsa reference pcb, or they made blocks for that specific pcb, you're going to struggle to find any.

Then add at least 100 for a quality pump/res. 40-50 for fittings. Then the cost of a rad, tubing, and coolant. Factor in whether you want a drain setup or not.

Since you already have noctua fans, there's a good chance you'll at least be able to reuse those. Depending on which model they are.

Solution
since its an SLI setup you will need the same exact blocks so you can use a sli bridge tube to connect them. So used market is going to be a little hard, new your looking at $100-$150 per block for the cards. Add in pump, res, rad, tubing, fittings (clamps depending on fittings) and fans.

SLI is virtually dead, i would take the money for a water loop and sell off the 1080 TI cards and get ether a 2000 series or 3000 Nvidia card when they come out.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Jun 2, 2020
Quick question for the sake of asking, i have a g12 laying around and an h55 would that be adequate for the top card in my sli set-up? they're 3 slot cards so basically sitting on top of each other.

If your temps are okay. And the noise level is acceptable then I would NOT water cool your system unless you have an interest in doing so. Water cooling is like a hobby within a hobby. It's like the guys who play DND but also like to paint their own figures and make landscapes or write their own campaigns. There people who build PCs and then there are the guys who water cool or write custom code for their machines.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What's the height on the h55 block? Probably ok for the die itself, but vrm temp may suffer.
I put together a G12 + Celsius S36 on my 1080Ti just this morning, and thermals are fine.
Granted, I just have the lower tier Gaming OC model, which caps out at 300w. Quite a bit less than the OP's Xtreme at 375w...
So what you're saying is probably true.

Also, I don't believe an H55 is enough for a 375w monster...

Jun 2, 2020
If your temps are okay. And the noise level is acceptable then I would NOT water cool your system unless you have an interest in doing so. Water cooling is like a hobby within a hobby. It's like the guys who play DND but also like to paint their own figures and make landscapes or write their own campaigns. There people who build PCs and then there are the guys who water cool or write custom code for their machines.

Thanks so much, I know its a bit of an enthusiast kinda of deal. Ive noticed that my CPU has been running relatively hot lately. especially gaming in 4k. Do you think this CLC 240 is enough for my i7 7700k, i believe the OC Tuner Profile im using it is boosting it to around 4.8 ghz or somthing like that.

I'm not sure about EVGA for AIOs. Gamer's Nexus has done some great reviews on AIOs. I would spend some time on their website/channel. Tom's also probably has some good reviews. I can't recall one recently though but I haven't been looking for it either.

I've personally used Corsair's AIO on two occasions with good luck, though I know some people have had problems. A first gen H80i, which is still running on a i7-920. And a first gen H110i on a i5-6600k which has since been replaced by a custom loop. Nothing wrong with it I just wanted to do a custom loop.