Looking to buy a $700 to $1000 laptop... Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeGuy

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
(Note: I'm upgrading from a Dell Studio 1535 which I bought three years ago but is falling apart on me now, the speaker and sound is busted, the hinges are coming off and a part got chipped off, etc. Still want a worthwhile upgrade, though.)

1. What is your budget?

Between $700 and $1000 (closer to $700)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Good and clear at least. Around 768p should be fine.

5. How much battery life do you need?

Hopefully at least three hours.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes.

High/Very High with games like Team Fortress 2, Medieval II: Total War, Empire: Total War, Shogun II, Civilization V, GTA IV, etc. Not interested in games like Crysis II or more graphics-intensive games.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

No other tasks than being able to run Firefox/Word Processors/play HD/1080p movie files without stuttering or lagging.

A nice built in webcamera would be nice, but I also have an external 1080p Logitech webcamera, so at least enough horsepower to run that smoothly.

I enjoy listening to internet radio off of my laptop as well, so decent speakers and sound quality would be a plus.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

500 GB HDD would be fine enough for me.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Hopefully 3-4 years, at least.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Just a DVD-ROM reader.

13. What country do you live in?

USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I would prefer a budget laptop that can still play the above mentioned games at high/very high levels, so I'm hoping to find such a laptop with an i7/quad-core processor and GeForce 540m GPU/the Radeon equivalent as well as a Full HD/LED screen. In any case, the budget is the most important part and I am willing to sacrifice parts if it means keeping to the $700-$800 range.

Sorry, I was also searching newegg when you put in your thought. Yes, the Asus is what I suggest. The Acer, I avoid because I personally had bad hardware from their laptop. Although to be fair, a lot of people find them ok and use their laptop for long time.

OrangeGuy

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

So, will things look crisp on a 768p display for a 15.6" laptop then?

You wont see individual pixels if you sit at a normal distance from the screen (50cm, 20 inch). You will start to see them if your eye is about where the edge of the laptop base is (27.5 cm, 11 inch). But if you are that close you cannot see the whole screen. Also 1080p gaming will be harder on you hardware gaming. IMO 768p is sufficient for 15-16 inch. I am using a 15 inch 768p laptop so I can tell you that.

Status
Not open for further replies.