Question Looking to buy a new gpu

xdhasrisen

Honorable
Jul 15, 2015
My budget is around 400 dollars not sure what to get I want to be able to get at least 60 fps on new world high settings 1080p plus I'm a big apex player so around 140 fps there
My pc specs are
Cpu: amd ryzen 7 3800x
Mob: Asus rog strix b450
Ram: Corsair lpx 16gb ram
Only have a 500 wat power supply but can get a higher 1
Was looking at 3050 but saw you can get same performance from a 1660 super

xdhasrisen

Honorable
Jul 15, 2015
Gonna get a new one but only have a 500 watt psu it's pretty old

He's asking more than just watt rating. What brand and model? When you upgrade a video card to a more powerful one, a wattage number itself really means nothing. It all depends on the quality of the PSU. Lower quality ones don't come near their "rated" load capabilities which means at best you'd get crashes to desktop during gaming or worse, destroy your video card or even cause a fire. The make and model info helps identify who the OEM maker of the PSU is. The name brand PSUs like Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic, Gigabyte, MSI, etc. do not make the guts of the power supply.

Last I checked there were only three or four OEM power supply makers, and they all have low quality ones in their portfolios to sell to the aforementioned brand vendors for various low to high price point models. Never go cheap on a PSU as it effectively is the heartbeat of your PC. Unfortunately too many builders and upgraders just cut corners on build price by slashing the PSU quality (look at pre-built gaming builds vendors sell as Exhibit A).

Last edited:
Gonna get a new one but only have a 500 watt psu it's pretty old
Based on your specs and using a 6600XT you will be fine with a good 550W PSU. The Cooler Master V550 Gold V2 runs about $80. The V750 & V850 have been reviewed by Tomshardware and found to be very good PSUs. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooler-master-v750-gold-v2-power-supply-review
Otherwise for $100 you can get a Corsair RMx (2021) which is also a high quality PSU. For $90 you can get a 650W Phantex AMP (rebranded Seasonic Focus GX) also a high quality PSU.

Last edited:
He's asking more than just watt rating. What brand and model? When you upgrade a video card to a more powerful one, a wattage number itself really means nothing. It all depends on the quality of the PSU. Lower quality ones don't come near their "rated" load capabilities which means at best you'd get crashes to desktop during gaming or worse, destroy your video card. The make and model info helps identify who the OEM maker of the PSU is. The name brand PSUs like Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic, Gigabyte, MSI, etc. do not make the guts of the power supply. Last I checked there are only three OEM power supply makers, and they all have low quality ones in their portfolios to sell to the aforementioned brand vendors.
Seasonic actually makes their own PSUs and also sells the platforms to other companies (Phantex, NZXT, etc..) for them to label their PSUs.

Seasonic actually makes their own PSUs and also sells the platforms to other companies (Phantex, NZXT, etc..) for them to label their PSUs.

Oh yeah they do. Mostly for Corsair if I remember correctly! There used to be a great website called JohnnyGuru that was strictly about PSUs and reviews. I miss that place. He had a PSU model and cross reference list for who made the core unit.