Question Looking to buy laptop that can play physical 4K UHD Blu-ray discs

Vilens

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2012
Hey Guys,

I am struggling to put a laptop together that can play 4k UHD blu rays. I understand that I'll need an external optical drive and PowerDVD ultra.

The issue here is that i'm seeing wildly varying reviews on optical drives and whether or not they can play these discs. My assumption is that some of these people don't have the hardware in their laptops. That said i'm having difficulty confirming what would work and reconciling the right drive and laptop hardware specs to meet PowerDVD's minimum specs.

I need help picking a laptop and the drive to go with it.

1. What is your budget?
$1000-$2000 (flexible)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Large, with 4k HDR display

3. What screen resolution do you want?
4k with HDR for 4k UHD blu rays

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Replacing an old Lenovo laptop

5. How much battery life do you need?
n/a

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Only remote play for xbox and PS4, maybe some game streaming in the future. More concerned with solid wifi card.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Web browsing video streaming.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
SSD, flexible on size (512mb-1tb)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
n/a

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Long as possible?

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
4k UHD blu ray reader. No writing capabilities mandatory. External or internal

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
n/a, i'm open. Less obscure the better in order to ensure proper driver availability.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I need an optical drive that will be compatible with the laptop to play NA region 4k UHD Blu rays with PowerDVD19 ultra.

Vilens

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2012
Is it possible to bump this? I'd like to open a conversation to understand the requirements and i'd be very appreciative of any insights anyone can provide.