actfray

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
I currently own the following desktop:

HP p6644y
4gb RAM
Pentium Dual Core CPU E5500
2.80 GHz

I bought it in 2010 and it has served me well. However, in the past year, this PC has slowed down greatly. Even though I have plenty of memory, it takes forever for some pages to open, and whenever I'm on Facebook, that site will freeze after about 10 minutes. Even local applications take a long time to open.

I've done all the usual maintenance - scanned for viruses and malware, cleaned my cache and registry, etc. But none of this had any impact.

I want to keep Windows 7 as I have no interest in the mess that is Windows 10. Best Buy has many refurbished PC's that are in the $200-$300 range and have a lot more memory than my current one. I also want another desktop.

Has anyone used a refurbished PC in the past? What do I need to look out for?

Thanks!

Solution
Why don't you just re-install Windows clean? Free and for what you use you don't need a faster system. Another 4 gig of RAM will be maybe $20, plenty of sticks for sale on craigslist and ebay since you are OK with used. Heck, you can buy a new 120 gig solid state hard drive for about $50 and will be well under $100 for a good upgrade. An SSD will speed up the overall system quite a bit, and you don't need anything large for internet browsing.

actfray

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

My internet connection is full-strength. I have what TW Cable calls Super Speed or some nonsense. But I'm still having problems not related to the internet.

Yes, it is 64 bit. I'd almost rather get something new rather try and install more memory. But I'll look into it. Thanks!

Why don't you just re-install Windows clean? Free and for what you use you don't need a faster system. Another 4 gig of RAM will be maybe $20, plenty of sticks for sale on craigslist and ebay since you are OK with used. Heck, you can buy a new 120 gig solid state hard drive for about $50 and will be well under $100 for a good upgrade. An SSD will speed up the overall system quite a bit, and you don't need anything large for internet browsing.

Solution