Looking to buy

a barebones pc from leadcomp.com . Any positive / negative feedback about
this company ?

Also i am looking for suggestions for a motherboard/case as i already have a
Hard Disk , 1GB RAM (PC2700 333MHZ)
( 2 X 512MB) and CD ROM Drive . I am going to use this machine as Database /
Web Server and for nothing else .
I will be installing either RHAS 2.1 or RHEL 3.0 .

Thanks

"Oradba Linux" <techiey2k3@comcast.net> wrote in message
> a barebones pc from leadcomp.com . Any positive / negative feedback about
> this company ?
>
> Also i am looking for suggestions for a motherboard/case as i already have
> Hard Disk , 1GB RAM (PC2700 333MHZ)
> ( 2 X 512MB) and CD ROM Drive . I am going to use this machine as Database
/
> Web Server and for nothing else .
> I will be installing either RHAS 2.1 or RHEL 3.0 .
>
> Thanks

resellerratings gives them a very high rating (almost perfect), but that's
based on only a few reviews. Can't recommend them or recommend avoiding
them. You are going where noone has gone before . . . (cue star trek theme
here)

OK, any case will do. You should be looking at the power supply carefully,
though. Looking over the selection at leadcomp, I think your best bet would
be one of the enermax towers IF you can confirm that they come with ENERMAX
brand power supply. Nothing else in their rather limited selection seems
decent, as far as cases go. I mean, they have some good brands, but limited
info. on the power supplies, which is suspect.

Try an abit NF-7 (nforce2) with AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 333FSB processor. That
looks like a good value with plenty of power to handle what you are going to
throw at it. It will also work quite well with your recycled components.
If you prefer something with built-in video (should be good enough for
database and web server), then spend a little more to get the NF-7M
(integrated GF4 MX graphics). -Dave

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "Oradba Linux" <techiey2k3@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > a barebones pc from leadcomp.com . Any positive / negative feedback
about
> > this company ?
> >
> > Also i am looking for suggestions for a motherboard/case as i already
have
> > Hard Disk , 1GB RAM (PC2700 333MHZ)
> > ( 2 X 512MB) and CD ROM Drive . I am going to use this machine as
Database
> /
> > Web Server and for nothing else .
> > I will be installing either RHAS 2.1 or RHEL 3.0 .
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> resellerratings gives them a very high rating (almost perfect), but that's
> based on only a few reviews. Can't recommend them or recommend avoiding
> them. You are going where noone has gone before . . . (cue star trek
theme
> here)
>
> OK, any case will do. You should be looking at the power supply
carefully,
> though. Looking over the selection at leadcomp, I think your best bet
would
> be one of the enermax towers IF you can confirm that they come with
ENERMAX
> brand power supply. Nothing else in their rather limited selection seems
> decent, as far as cases go. I mean, they have some good brands, but
limited
> info. on the power supplies, which is suspect.
>
> Try an abit NF-7 (nforce2) with AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 333FSB processor.
That
> looks like a good value with plenty of power to handle what you are going
> throw at it. It will also work quite well with your recycled components.
> If you prefer something with built-in video (should be good enough for
> database and web server), then spend a little more to get the NF-7M
> (integrated GF4 MX graphics). -Dave

http://www.leadcomp.com/product_details_configurator.asp?PRID=1508

I am thinking about configuring this one by adding an enermax power supply .
That would work
out to about $200 . I could add the other parts that i have .

Whats your reason to suggest AMD rather than Intel P4 ?

Thanks for your help

> http://www.leadcomp.com/product_details_configurator.asp?PRID=1508
>
> I am thinking about configuring this one by adding an enermax power supply
..
> That would work
> out to about $200 . I could add the other parts that i have .
>
> Whats your reason to suggest AMD rather than Intel P4 ?
>
> Thanks for your help

No reason, really. If you can get a P4 system for about the same price,
that would work too. No need to pay for "intel inside" for what you want to
do, though. So I wouldn't pay more than $20 extra for a similar P4 setup.
IMHO

I recently learned that ECS is now PCChips, so you might want to re-think
that system you linked to above. IMHO If you decide to go the P4 route,
try the SIS 648 chipset for a motherboard. That's supposed to be powerful,
stable and inexpensive for the P4. -Dave

> > http://www.leadcomp.com/product_details_configurator.asp?PRID=1508
> >
> > I am thinking about configuring this one by adding an enermax
power supply
> .
> > That would work
> > out to about $200 . I could add the other parts that i have .
> >
> > Whats your reason to suggest AMD rather than Intel P4 ?
> >
> > Thanks for your help
> >

> No reason, really. If you can get a P4 system for about the same
price,
> that would work too. No need to pay for "intel inside" for what you
want to
> do, though. So I wouldn't pay more than $20 extra for a similar P4
setup.
> IMHO
>
> I recently learned that ECS is now PCChips, so you might want to
re-think
> that system you linked to above. IMHO If you decide to go the P4
route,
> try the SIS 648 chipset for a motherboard. That's supposed to be
powerful,
> stable and inexpensive for the P4. -Dave

PCChips has owned ECS for some time now. I don't know what the
business model is but if ECS still operates it;s factory as they did
before being acquired than that would be a positive thing. I
installed an SIS chipset ECS board in my son's computer and it has
worked out just fine.

On Mon, 03 May 2004 08:00:16 +0000, Matt wrote:

> Dave C. wrote:
>
>> OK, any case will do.
>
> <snip>
>
>> Nothing else in their rather limited selection seems
>> decent, as far as cases go.
>
> ?

Confused? I would be too if all I saw was what you left in after snipping.

Let's try putting a key sentence back in:

--
Lenroc

"Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
> Dave C. wrote:
>
> > OK, any case will do.
>
> <snip>
>
> > Nothing else in their rather limited selection seems
> > decent, as far as cases go.
>
> ?

I made that comment, as the vendor in question ships unspecified power
supplies with their cases. Any CASE will do, but if the case includes a
power supply, it is usually JUNK. -Dave