Question Looking to extend Wi-Fi out into the garden via single access point

Hi, and apologies if this is the wrong place to ask.

We currently have our ISP’s router/modem combination unit in a room at the front of the house and it works really well inside of the house, however the signal isn’t very good when I’m in the garden (at the back of the house) so I was thinking of buying a AP from Ubiquiti.

Specifically this one: https://amzn.eu/d/dO4QFJV

I’ve never bought a Unifi product before and I know they have a lot of hardware like the dream machine, but will I be able to just plug it into an Ethernet port and treat it as an AP? (I’m aware I need to use PoE)

Also, is this even the right choice? My garden isn’t that big so the 150m2 range is a little bit scary, maybe I can adjust that?

If you have any recommendations for garden access points with decent speed that would be great.

We will have gigabit up and down too so anything that can utilise that would be useful.

In general it will do what you need.

There is no wifi technology that will get gigabit speeds. Maybe something like wifi6e would get 600mbps but your end device must also support the same technology. Most portable end devices do not need really fast network connections so they tend to not support things like 4x4 mimo. High bandwidth really is only used for large downloads and portable device do not have much storage.

Ubiquiti works well but the downside is they are targeted at a more professional user so they can be complex. Not so much you have to set more stuff but there are many more option that you need to know you can just ignore.

Most ubiquiti stuff can be setup via a simple web browser or you can use their free management software if you want.

Reactions: Sammyjo20
Thank you for your helpful reply! I won't need Gigabit speeds but if I can get 100mbps+ then I will be really happy.

Do you know if the Ubiquiti web browser config/app allows you to control the power of the antenna? Just so I can tweak it so it doesn't reach much further than my house.

Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for your helpful reply! I won't need Gigabit speeds but if I can get 100mbps+ then I will be really happy.

Do you know if the Ubiquiti web browser config/app allows you to control the power of the antenna? Just so I can tweak it so it doesn't reach much further than my house.

Thanks!
Ubiquiti doesn't have browser compatible interfaces on their hardware. They have an APP for android/IOS that can configure a single AP. They have a software package that can configure their hardware. I have multiple Ubiquiti devices and have always used their controller software. I have never used the APP for configuration. You can load their controller software on a windows device and it works just fine. The controller software does not have to run 24/7. Only REQUIRED to configure things.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for your reply @kanewolf, do you know if in the app you can configure antenna strength/range?

Edit: ignore me - you mention that you use the controller software. Is it worth setting that up on Windows for just one standalone AP?
There is more functionality in the controller. I started with running it on a laptop when needed.
The UAP-AC-Mis an older model. If you are starting, I might suggest a U6-Mesh -- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Access-Point-WiFi-Mesh/dp/B09YRZYB29 It is outdoor rated and much newer so it will have firmware updates for a much longer duration.

There are multiple ways to control unifi devices. If you are not needing a firewall/gateway then there is no need for a dream machine, you can install the free controller on any computer to control your devices. while you can do everything inside the app its a lot easier to do setups inside the free controller installed on a computer. I typically just use the app to monitor activity and use my dream machine for everything else.

I run 2 UAP AC lite AP's inside my house with a UAP-AC-M-Pro outside mounted on the Chimney.

The outside unit on its own Vlan so its not on the internal network, along with MAC address filtering so i have to add a devices MAC address into the controller for it to join that network.

Edit: ignore me - you mention that you use the controller software. Is it worth setting that up on Windows for just one standalone AP?

You have to use a cloud gateway, computer installed controller, or the app to configure the AP otherwise you will not be able to connect to it.

If you install the controller you really dont have to open it back up once you get the AP setup. I would open it every 3-4 months just to keep it up to date and any updates for the AP.

Last edited: