Looking to get a AMD-FX 8350

Nov 28, 2018
So currently i have an i3-7100 and its ok, but im planning on upgrading both my GPU and CPU (gpu from a 1050ti to a 1070 8gb and cpu from an i3-7100 to a AMD-FX 8350). My motherboard is a MSI Z270 A Pro and i was wondering if the AMD-FX would fit or not.

Solution
um..... no?
AMD is not Intel.
Two different competing companies that create their own products and therefore use different technologies and designs for their products.
So simply put. No.
I could go on to explain in great breadth the differences but I'm not going to and if you want to know the nitty gritty you have the internet at your fingertips.

But in short, AMD and Intel don't mix when it comes to CPU's.

On top of that, with each company, they have different generations of products and usually you have to upgrade the motherboard with each generation with a couple of exceptions here and there.

On top of this, even if you bought the FX-8350 for hella cheap and a motherboard to go with it, you would also need to buy RAM because the...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
um..... no?
AMD is not Intel.
Two different competing companies that create their own products and therefore use different technologies and designs for their products.
So simply put. No.
I could go on to explain in great breadth the differences but I'm not going to and if you want to know the nitty gritty you have the internet at your fingertips.

But in short, AMD and Intel don't mix when it comes to CPU's.

On top of that, with each company, they have different generations of products and usually you have to upgrade the motherboard with each generation with a couple of exceptions here and there.

On top of this, even if you bought the FX-8350 for hella cheap and a motherboard to go with it, you would also need to buy RAM because the RAM you are using with your i3-7100 is DDR4 which is the newest generation of RAM and the FX-8350 is an old CPU from years ago that uses DDR3 RAM.

If you want to upgrade, you can keep the RAM you have and just move it over to the new setup and you can get this CPU and motherboard and replace the CPU and motherboard you have. (see at the bottom)

But this is only if you want to overclock.

If you want a simpler upgrade to a non overclockable CPU then you can just get an i5-7500 for quad core or an i7-7700 for quad core hyper threading.

The cheaper option being the i5.

i5-7500 $205
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1304299-REG/intel_bx80677i57500_core_i5_7500_3_8_ghz.html

i7-7700 $308
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0L41N7/

If you wanted to change up your platform to something overclockable like I stated above, you can get a Ryzen 5 2600 with a B450 motherboard

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($160.98 @ Newegg Business)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg Business)
Total: $235.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-28 22:03 EST-0500

Solution

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
if you're budget is fairly tight and you can only upgrade either CPU or GPU then perhaps a middle ground upgrade is what you need.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($95.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg Business)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Mini Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $379.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-28 22:55 EST-0500

I'll just add that, at least for gaming and many other lightly-threaded tasks, an FX-8350 wouldn't even be a worthwhile upgrade from an i3-7100. Those FX CPUs are older, and their per-core performance is well behind what the current Intel or AMD Ryzen processors can do. And since most games only utilize a limited number of cores, those extra cores won't even be helping much. In fact, I suspect your i3 would perform better in the majority of games.

And a 2200G is also not likely to be a worthwhile upgrade from an i3-7100, so it's not really worth considering that either. In most cases, it won't perform better than what you have, and between the processor and the motherboard, you would be spending nearly as much as what an i5-7500 costs for a bit more performance on your existing motherboard. I wouldn't bother considering getting a new motherboard for Ryzen unless you are moving up to at least the 6-core, 12-thread Ryzen 2600, which are currently around $160 in the US.