Looking to get a laptop that I can game on

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModernWarNoob

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Ok I got a question. I'm not a noob at computers but I'm not an expert. I'm looking for a gaming laptop that can run most games on high or Ultra at constantly above 30FPS.
My price range is around $1000 - $1600. It would be nice if it had upgradeable RAM or something but its fine if not and I'm not interested in building my own desktop PC. I need it to be portable, but not so portable that I have to sacrifice too much performance.

1. What is your budget?
$1000-$1600 US dollars

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Size doesn't really matter much to me

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080p (if it can possibly go higher that's fine with me

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I plan for it to be a desktop replacement (my main computer) but for me to be able to take it over to friends and game

5. How much battery life do you need?
At least 2 hours would be nice (4+ hours is preferred)

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for
these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I plan to game on High settings but for most games but for heavy duty stuff like Crysis 3 or something medium will suffice

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Basically MS Office, PhotoShop, occasionally some video editing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Well between 500 - 1000 GB would be nice

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Mainly Amazon but if there is another trustworthy site I can buy it from, I';; take it

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
6 years minimum but as long as possible otherwise

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD/bluray would be nice

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I don't really have anything against any brand except maybe Acer because I once bought a small laptop from them and it broke within a month so...

13. What country do you live in?
Commonwealth of Dominica (a small island in the Caribbean) but the shipping will be US based so its not a problem

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Im leaning towards the
Asus ROG G750JS
Intel i7-4700HQ
750 GB hard drive
26 GB RAM | 3 GB VRAM (Nvidia 870M)

Considering it has ubgradeable Ram it meas if I'm not satisfied with the performance, I can add a few extra gigs and bump it up. But I wanna know if there is anything better or a cheaper laptop with added parts which make it better I would please like to know.

Solution
I'm in the process of getting a game laptop too (you can find my thread down a little further down the list)

I came across a great option when surfing Xotic PC which is 99% chance gonna be the same one I order with a couple upgrades but I'll post a link for you as well so you can see.

MSI GT70 Dominator-2293: $1499 (base price)
http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt70-dominator2293-p-7598.html?wconfigure=yes
-i7 4710MQ
-970M
-8GB RAM (1x8GB) DDR3 1600
-1 TB HDD

I plan to add a 128GB SSD for an extra $105 and call it a day! A little over your budget but if you do a money transfer to xotic you get a 3% discount.

BlueJays92-93

Honorable
Oct 8, 2014
If you want a fair priced gaming laptop then the 2 main choices are ASUS and MSI (Gigabyte may also work but I find they are more expensive where I live than ASUS or MSI). Maybe check out the MSI GT70 (http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT70-Dominator-895-9S7-1763A2-895-17-3-Inch/dp/B00IMTQ6I6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413154819&sr=8-1&keywords=msi+gt) just to compare against but I do think you will find the ASUS G750JS is a great computer. My friend has one (slightly difference specs but mostly the same one you're looking at) and she absolutely loves it. So ya, check out what MSI has to offer but either the ASUS one or an MSI one would be a good pick.

Hope this helps :)

Emelth

Distinguished
I'm in the process of getting a game laptop too (you can find my thread down a little further down the list)

I came across a great option when surfing Xotic PC which is 99% chance gonna be the same one I order with a couple upgrades but I'll post a link for you as well so you can see.

MSI GT70 Dominator-2293: $1499 (base price)
http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt70-dominator2293-p-7598.html?wconfigure=yes
-i7 4710MQ
-970M
-8GB RAM (1x8GB) DDR3 1600
-1 TB HDD

I plan to add a 128GB SSD for an extra $105 and call it a day! A little over your budget but if you do a money transfer to xotic you get a 3% discount.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS