Question Looking to get a new power supply

litaidd

Honorable
Nov 21, 2017
Is this a good unit? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088SV1FH9?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp I just ordered it because my evga gq 850w psu has been running super hot and my computer keeps randomly shutting off. I just cleaned it and everything the unit still is getting super hot and my desktop is on wood flooring. I normally get the shutdown screen but what's making me think it's most likely the power supply is that after this all happens the computer just refuses to come on for about 10sec after it happens. I can login to windows but only for a few seconds, normally i gotta wait like 10mins or so before being able to use my computer again. I checked all of my other component temperatures and the cpu only gets up to 65c and the gpu never goes past 72c.

I know the gq lineup are fairly good units but the one that I have is about 5 years old now so I'm guessing its degrading a bit.

Not really asking for diagnostic help mostly just making sure the unit that I'm buying is good. I'm a system builder but my knowledge of current high-end power supplies is fairly minimal because I haven't really looked at a tier list or anything like that since the evga G2 era.

Lutfij

Titan
What will it be powering in your rig? For that we will need you to list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
Chassis: for any clearance issues.

If you intend to overclock, mentioning your overclocking goals would also be a good idea and as such getting a higher wattage unit helps in having headroom for both longevity and holding onto the unit for a prolonged period.

EVGA's tend to have both bad and good quality units even within their top tier lineups but the one you've listed is good overall. The questions above is to make sure you have the right wattage. Quality wise, you're good.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The GT is the only recent EVGA PSU in Tier A of the curated PSU tier list housed here. The rest are older ones made by Super Flower and SeaSonic during EVGA's PSU golden age.

It's better quality than the GQ.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
The GT is the only recent EVGA PSU in Tier A of the curated PSU tier list housed here.
Take note tho that this position is outdated. We're moving it down in the next revision. We've placed it based off a word of Jon that it's a HEC TPK, it turned out it isn't. Overall it's a decent PSU, but not for this price.
Here's a teardown if you're interested : https://cultists.network/1641/evga-gt-650w-overview/

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Take note tho that this position is outdated. We're moving it down in the next revision. We've placed it based off a word of Jon that it's a HEC TPK, it turned out it isn't. Overall it's a decent PSU, but not for this price.
Here's a teardown if you're interested : https://cultists.network/1641/evga-gt-650w-overview/

Much obliged! I literally had no idea. I still thought it was TPK.

When you say the GQ is running very hot, are you referring to the outside housing of the units being warm to the touch?

As a fellow GQ850 owner, I can confirm the housing being warm is normal if the fan is set to shut off automatically untill it is needed. This isn't a problem in itself. You can press the eco mode button on the PSU to force the fan to run all the time if you want.

The GT will also have the fan turn off untill it is needed, which will cause the housing to get warm to the touch. The GT does not have an option to manually turn the fan on, though.

If I were in your position I would just RMA the GQ. You mentioned yours is 5 years old, which would mean it is within the 7 year factory warranty.

litaidd

Honorable
Nov 21, 2017
I ended up getting the GT, and a new motherboard. The reason why I got the motherboard was so I could swap it everything out but the processor. I literally rebuilt my computer about 2 or 3 different times using different parts until determining that I am dealing with an extremely rare case where the cpu itself actually 'was' at the time starting to fail, now it boots up for half a second and shuts off. Just kind of annoying since it's the only thing that I don't have an extra of to test. Sending it into intel for an RMA.

I found a really good bundle deal on a 5600x and a b550 motherboard so I might just get that instead and sell the 8700k on ebay or something as new. I just have a feeling that intel won't have anymore of the 8700ks or 9700ks left in stock so they might just send me a refund, unless I get super unlucky again and they pull that XMP voiding your warranty crap like people were talking about last year.

It has definitely been quite the process dealing with this but I'm glad that I finally figured it out.

litaidd

Honorable
Nov 21, 2017
Okay so I’m kind of lost at this point. The just tried using this old 4790k and motherboard that I knew to be working into my case and it’s the same thing it doesn’t wanna boot. I know I’m doing everything properly I have built tons of computers. I’m starting to think that maybe the power supply is doing funny because I had my replacement motherboard plugged into my old case and power supply at first, and then I got the same issue. Swapped it over to a new case and power supply, and the issue was resolved for about 20mins it let me install windows but then it failed again. The only other thing that I have been swapping over system to system is my video card but it seems unlikely that a video card could kill 3 motherboards. I’m gonna try one more Amazon return I’ll get my new motherboard tomorrow but this time I’m not letting the new board touch my old psu.

litaidd

Honorable
Nov 21, 2017
Okay, hopefully this will be my last update.

Got the new motherboard in and everything appears to be running rock solid. If all goes well I think I'm probably gonna finally replace my old case with a more up to date one, and get a different cooler as well because my old was an air cooler that had like 30 different parts. I really hope the problem doesn't creep up on me randomly again because my processors warranty is literally gonna expire on the 23rd of September, and that's the only thing left.

So fingers crossed. Really hope this solves it because I really wanted to buy an rtx 3080 ti in about a month, and this keeps pushing me away from achieving that lol.