[SOLVED] Looking to increase speed and connection within my house

Oct 27, 2020
Just to preface the problem I have, I live in a large enough house that our sole verizon fios router has trouble sending signals to the farther reaches of the house, My office is on one end of the house where if I were to put the router there, there would be then no connectivity on the other side of the house. From what I have read so far Fios does not require a new modem, (or does it?) and I could simply upgrade my router and that would work, another question would be about a wifi mesh with those multiple little singaling things I would place around my house. Does anyone know what a good solution would be, and/or some good routers to upgrade to? (there is no real budget, anything below $500 would be preferred).
Thank you.

Solution
There is no magic router that will get a lot more coverage. There is very little difference between the better brands of routers. Many of the newer Fios modem/routers have as good of coverage as other routers.

It is very likely your current modem router supports MoCA. This lets you use tv coax to carry the network. If you have a coax outlet in the remote part of the house you would just need a moca adapter and then a inexpensive router to act as a AP.

I would avoid mesh unless nothing else works. You are going to trade performance for coverage. It takes very careful placement of the units so they get good signal from the main router but can still send the signal to the remote room. For best performance you need...
There is no magic router that will get a lot more coverage. There is very little difference between the better brands of routers. Many of the newer Fios modem/routers have as good of coverage as other routers.

It is very likely your current modem router supports MoCA. This lets you use tv coax to carry the network. If you have a coax outlet in the remote part of the house you would just need a moca adapter and then a inexpensive router to act as a AP.

I would avoid mesh unless nothing else works. You are going to trade performance for coverage. It takes very careful placement of the units so they get good signal from the main router but can still send the signal to the remote room. For best performance you need the better mesh units that have dedicated backhaul radios. This extra radio chip increases the cost.

I would still avoid the mesh if you have any other option. The MoCA is your first choice when you have fios stuff. You could also consider powerline networks.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Just to preface the problem I have, I live in a large enough house that our sole verizon fios router has trouble sending signals to the farther reaches of the house, My office is on one end of the house where if I were to put the router there, there would be then no connectivity on the other side of the house. From what I have read so far Fios does not require a new modem, (or does it?) and I could simply upgrade my router and that would work, another question would be about a wifi mesh with those multiple little singaling things I would place around my house. Does anyone know what a good solution would be, and/or some good routers to upgrade to? (there is no real budget, anything below $500 would be preferred).
Thank you.
Which FiOS device do you have now?
Where is it located?
Do you also have TV through FiOS?

Oct 27, 2020
Which FiOS device do you have now?
Where is it located?
Do you also have TV through FiOS?
It is located in a room on the first floor of the house near the kitchen,
actiontec m1424wr rev 1
and no i do not use fios tv

So would it be better to buy a traditional router like that netgear nighthawk or do I get the orbi wifi mesh thing for 1200

Also would there be any way to increase the speed received on devices with the new router or mesh?

USAFRet

Titan
It is located in a room on the first floor of the house near the kitchen,
actiontec m1424wr rev 1
and no i do not use fios tv

So would it be better to buy a traditional router like that netgear nighthawk or do I get the orbi wifi mesh thing for 1200
Change that m1424wr to the G1100 from Verizon.
I did, and it was a big improvement. Easily on a par with any other router you might buy.

And purchasing it from Verizon, they just spread the cost over the next few months payments.