Question Looking to make some upgrades on gaming PC

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
Hello Everyone!

The PC I built for my wife is using an i5-3570 and a GTX 1070.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on the following items:

1.) Upgrading the CPU essentially means I'll be converting from the LGA 1155 to a new socket type (meaning new motherboard).

2.) Having a new motherboard will force me to purchase and install a new copy of Windows (??) (Which will force me to format and perform a clean install on my SS OS drive?)

3.) What processor should I shoot for? I could go for overkill with the i9-9900K and not have to worry about upgrading again for awhile, but is this a falsehood? Maybe an i7-9700K would make more sense. In any case, that's what I'm hoping you wonderful people could provide guidance with.

4.) One last item. With a processor upgrade, will the GTX 1070 become a significant enough bottle neck to facilitate going to the?

Thanks so much in advance!

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
What resolution are you running? Are you planning on staying at that resolution?

An upgrade means at least a new CPU, motherboard and ram.

Also means a clean install of Windows.

I wouldn't run a 9900k with a 1070 GPU.

- 1440p. Yeah, I'll be staying here.

- I figured out I have an OEM version of windows. So yeah, new install.

- That's why I mentioned the 9900k is overkill. But, obviously, I want to make a smart choice. I could always look at upgrading the 1070, I'll have to figure out if it's worth it. I'm not really concerned with ray tracing, so I don't know.

All comes down to how much money you want to spend.
If you want to spend only $150 - change the CPU to an i7 3x series
If you want to spend $1500 then its a complete new rebuild.

Right now, I am running an i7 2600k@4.3ghz with a 2060 (just replaced the 1070 3days ago) gaming with 1070 was perfect, gaming with 2060 is basically the same.

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
I had a sneaking suspicion that a new build would be coming down the pipeline. I've stretched most of the components out for years, so I definitely got value out of them.

Ok people, thanks for the input. I'll start looking at a new build. It's been awhile, so I'm sure I'll be back with questions. :)

Thanks!