[SOLVED] Looking to move gaming setup but can't move modem.

Mar 9, 2020
I have a PC setup in my house's office and it works great there but I also don't like it being there cause its in the center of the house and if i'm loud, i tend to annoy people. My modem is set up there but in the past it was in my basement. When it was in my basement and with another service provider the Ethernet ports worked but that was several years ago. Since then all the Ethernet ports in the house became useless and don't work. I don't wanna move the modem because everyone's internet in the house has been better since moving to the office and I don't want to change that.

What would be the best way to move my setup but not harm the connection that i am currently getting. I need the good download and upload speed for things like streaming and gaming. I have seen the wireless ethernet adapters but when i had it i felt like the connection deteriorated.

Also if anyone knows of who to call to somehow look into how i could get an ethernet cord to run from my office down to my basement without the blue cord being an eye sore in the house that would be appreciated.

Solution
Best if you could fix all the ethernet jacks in your house.

So I will assume the device you call a modem is actually a modem and router. If it has wifi it is also a router.

Does your office have a ethernet jack in it that leads to the basement? If so you can just plug one of the lan ports into the wall jack and then in the basement put in a small switch that connects to all the other rooms in the house.
Best if you could fix all the ethernet jacks in your house.

So I will assume the device you call a modem is actually a modem and router. If it has wifi it is also a router.

Does your office have a ethernet jack in it that leads to the basement? If so you can just plug one of the lan ports into the wall jack and then in the basement put in a small switch that connects to all the other rooms in the house.

Solution

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
I have a PC setup in my house's office and it works great there but I also don't like it being there cause its in the center of the house and if i'm loud, i tend to annoy people. My modem is set up there but in the past it was in my basement. When it was in my basement and with another service provider the Ethernet ports worked but that was several years ago. Since then all the Ethernet ports in the house became useless and don't work. I don't wanna move the modem because everyone's internet in the house has been better since moving to the office and I don't want to change that.

What would be the best way to move my setup but not harm the connection that i am currently getting. I need the good download and upload speed for things like streaming and gaming. I have seen the wireless ethernet adapters but when i had it i felt like the connection deteriorated.

Also if anyone knows of who to call to somehow look into how i could get an ethernet cord to run from my office down to my basement without the blue cord being an eye sore in the house that would be appreciated.

get a set of head phones and stay there.

otherwise run ethernet cable from modem to basement but the head phones are cheaper.